Difficulty in getting my first HR job in the UK

Prior to moving to the UK in July 2019 to join my husband, I worked as an HR Assistant with the Marist Brothers of the Schools, Province of Nigeria. After I arrived UK, I research on career prospect for HR, that was how I knew of CIPD. With the advice I got from ICS Learn students' advisor and having a bachelor's degree and an experience in HR, I started my CIPD level 5 course in January 2020, and worked as a carer too. I have been job hunting since January 2021 and was able to secure only 2 interviews which weren't successful after the second round of the interviews, with no obvious reason for the rejection ( I always ask for feedback so I can improve in my job search). I am as well keeping an eye on voluntary work in HR, but haven't even seen any. Please I need advice and suggestions on how I can surmount this devastating stage in my career journey. I have completed my CIPD level 5 course now and upgraded to associate member of CIPD without a job.
  • I am very happy to proceed. Please do let me know what I need to do next.
  • My email address is ogochukwueze91@gmail.com
  • Hi Ogochukwu

It took me 18 months since passing my Level 3 to land my first HR role. Then in August last year, fate decided to go against me. I was at my lowest point and close to a dark, harrowing path. I remained hopeful and after three different jobs since last year, I'm finally back in. It's beyond my wildest dreams. My message to you is keep your head up high as you you are qualified, you will get there, with every application, you are one step closer.

A recruiter in Reed also alluded to the fact that a lot of CV screeners will instantly glance at your most recent role to see how transferrable your skills are. If your going to get back into HR, make sure your current role is office based.

KR
    Fahim
  • In reply to Fahim:

Fahim, so pleased you have got through such a challenging time and hope sharing your story provides hope to Ogochukwu and others experiencing similar struggles.
  • Thanks Fahim. Your story gives me a ray of hope. I believe I will get there soon. Fingers crossed
  • In reply to Sharon:

I still struggle to take in my current role. It was a little over a year ago when I applied for 50+ jobs in HR, refused to relinquish hope, then lost hope and entered the transport industry as I held a D1 license. I got the license two years prior as a saftey net; it proved to be a saviour.

As the months creeped by, I started to think I sealed my own fate. In the transport/haulage industry, typically the roles are referred to as 'dead man's shoes'. The worst enemy on the road, is not other motorists or passengers, it's one's own deafening mind. It was wanting to get out as fast as I could that motivated me to seek other employment.
  • In reply to Ogochuckwu:

You're most welcome Ogochukwu. I believe you will get there too, stay strong and persevere!
  • Hi Ogochukwu ,Have you get a HR job yet? I have the same situation with you now, looking forward to hear you share some experiences.it’s soooo hard.Sob