Help with choosing a course

Hello everyone 

I'm after some advice as iv come to a bit of a crossroads. 

Iv been in an HR role for 12 years (assistant, HR Advisor & ER Advisor) 

After 4 years as a HR Assistant I did my CIPD level 5 and achieved a certificate. The course was awful, we had no group discussions, sharing best practice etc, we just turned up each week to be told how to write the assignment then sent home to write it. 

On completion I was promoted to a HR AAdvisorbut the company was awful and I was still working at an Admin level as so short staffed. I then changed organisations and have been an ER Advisor for 4 years. 

My daughter is starting school in a few weeks and I feel like it's a great time to go back to some kind of studying as I'd like to progress again, but I'm stuck what to do! 

If I do Level 7 cipd I'd struggle to fund it, as you don't get long to pay back, whereas if I done a degree in HR through a uni I can get a student load and much much longer to pay it off. 

Work probably won't fund it as I'd be too qualified for my role (in essence I don't need it to do my role so wouldn't be of benefit to them) 

The other 2 options are a masters in HRM which is CIPD accredited; my local unis entry requirements for this  are an undergraduate degree or Level 5 or The Open University do a Batchelors in Human Resource Management , although I understand Level 5 is only slightly less than a Batchelors? But would this still be worth considering because my CIPD course was so bad and it offers alot more flexibility in terms of completing (I work and have a 5 year old). Another option is a business degree? 

Ultimately I really enjoy ER but would like to get some more business knowledge so I can perhaps progress to a HRBP or HR Manager / more generalist role. 

Thank you and sorry for the long post, I'm happy  and grateful for any advice.   

• Hi,

I'm in a similar situation having spent 2 years+ as HR Admin and recently promoted to HR Advisor upon completion of the Level 5.

I have been given the go ahead to do the Level 7 although I get the sense the business isn't best pleased.. as you said I would be over qualified. I've taken the plunge however as once it's under your belt no one can take that away and it will open up doors.

The new qualification also looks much better than the old one, so I wouldn't compare it to the level 5. I think it's all down to the provider that you choose as to how good the course is.

I know a couple of people who have gone down the apprenticeship route for the Level 7, possibly speak with your employers about this? The masters route is qualified up to Level 7 but takes a lot longer to complete and more work - I couldn't ever see it fitting in with my work commitments.

My understanding is the level 5 is equivalent to an undergraduate degree, although Universities may not recognise it as such but worth a try at some institutions if that is the route you wish to take.

Hope that helps,

Jenny
  • Hi Catherine

One of the good things about covid is that unis have become a lot better at providing distance learning which means you have a lot more options than your local uni. Have a look on the UCAS site and see what is available, some may be more flexible in their entry requirements for masters level given your work experience and level 5 certificate but you may have to attend an interview.

If you think you have too much on your plate to take on a masters the CIPD do loads of short courses you might find useful and in addition to filling out your cv it shows future employers that you are organised, driven and ambitious.

Good luck!
  • I guess I'd ask what's the end result you want from more studying....is it a degree or a post grad, is it higher status for the CIPD, is it to meet other people and have stimulating conversations, widen a network, prepare for the future etc....and then what can you afford in time and money right now. It may be a number of short courses as Jim suggests could work.

You can get so much from reading, listening, watching or taking part in things that cost less if you are focussed on what you want to improve in terms of knowledge and skills and then seek out things to fulfil the needs and close gaps so you can achieve what you see as a next career step. Perhaps a couple of coaching sessions might help review what you need and set you up for the future or getting a mentor, the CIPD has a scheme, that could broaden your perspective in a different way.

Good luck in whatever you choose to do though and enjoy learning.