Change career - to study at L3

Hello everyone, I have just taken voluntary redundancy from working in lower management in HE for the last 23-years. I have experience of some recruitment, interviewing, JDs, performance management etc and I am also a school Governor where I have chaired complaints hearings etc. I have really enjoyed the HR aspects and have been thinking of doing my L3. However I’m 52 and wondering whether you all think I’m too old to re-train and start a entry level HR role. I’m not interested in climbing the ladder and would be happy with a HR Administration role or Assistant role. What are your thoughts? Too old? Honest opinions please, I’m happy with honest, construct opinions. Thank you! Sarah
  • Why not? Sounds like you have good previous experience, there’s no harm in doing the qualification and applying for some posts. However, I did read in a CIPD magazine article today that the number of HR vacancies has shrunk over the past year or so… so it might not be easy to actually land a job, even ‘entry level’.
  • Thank you Maya, appreciate your response
  • I would spend some time reading the many many threads on here about people trying to get into HR jobs without experience. Not to put you off but to give you a realistic appraisal of the mountain you may face even when qualified. Certainly no harm in doing a L3 course .....but dont expect doors to open magically afterwards you will have to work very hard and have some luck to get into HR
  • Thanks Keith - appreciate your honesty.
  • No such thing as too old!! There's definitely no harm in studying for a qualification, I did a career change in my late thirties and got my L3 but in a whole year of applying for HR roles I got barely any responses and only 3 interviews. All entry level, all said no as I had been too senior in my previous career. My advice would be to go for the L5 as with the experience you already have with the HR aspects you will likely find the L3 easy. I would also suggest applying for public sector HR roles as they are more likely to look at your demonstrable experience rather than previous job titles.

I ended up taking an interim role in my previous industry as I had to pay the bills and after another 6 months of applications I finally secured an entry level role in L&D in the public sphere. The job was easy but it meant I could volunteer for different projects and get to know a lot of people. I know you have said you are not interested in climbing the career ladder but don't hold yourself back. If you want to change your career then go for it! I love my new career and am so glad I spent that time and money studying and applying.
  • Thank you Ruth. Lovely to hear you had a positive outcome
  • I did my L5 at 50 - age is no barrier to learning. I am too out of work a the moment and even with experience in HR roles it is competitive. I got turned down for a role as I hadn't worked field based. As far as I am concerned if I have a laptop/phone and car i can be any where working. Age also carries life skills and experience as well. Good luck.
  • Sorry to hear your out of work Jules. Fingers crossed something comes your way soon
  • Hi
    No way are you too old!
    I did my Level 5 Diploma aged 51 after not doing any studying since the 1980s and not having a degree. I agree with Ruth you should maybe go for Level 5.
    Good luck!
    Lisa