Struggling to break into the HR industry

Hello HR community!

I posted earlier this year about struggling to break into the HR industry and unfortunately I am still struggling!

I have now completed my MSc HRM which has given me CIPD Level 7 membership. I have administrative experience in the education and finance sector.. However, I am still having no luck with HR roles. I am constantly told I am inexperienced. 

I have applied for various roles at various levels - HR administrator, HR generalist, HR coordinator, People coordinator, Diversity and Inclusion... no luck!

I have seen a few other posts similar to this one.. I thought I would add to the pile of 'struggling to break into the HR industry' to share my experiences with everyone and highlight that this is a common situation, even with the relevant qualifications. 

Any advice, guidance.. help?

Regards, 

Adrienne 

• I think your best bet will be to look for a graduate entry scheme in HR.
    The problem you are facing is that you are over-qualified for entry roles (administrator etc) but have no experience to go in at a higher level. Personally I think universities offering HR masters to people with no HR background should be shot - it's mis-selling as it's not going to open the doors for you unless you are very determined and very lucky. Which may sound harsh, but I'm telling you that it's not you personally, it's the situation you were badly advised to get yourself in. It's not impossible - my previous workplace created a graduate entry scheme with one placement in HR, and it went to an HR MA holder without experience, and I know of others who do enter the profession in that way. It's just not the easiest route.
  • In reply to Fiona:

Hi Fiona,
    Thank you for your response and providing your perspective.
    I find that some people who are in these HR jobs barely hold HR qualifications which creates that notion of going to study these qualifications to gain accredited knowledge and land in respective job roles.
    It has been a really difficult and admittedly frustrating transitioning period, despite my experience in administration, I cant even land a HR administrative role.
    I have researched some HR grad schemes and will continue to do so,
    Thank you
    Adrienne
  • In reply to Adrienne:

I do wish you all the best with this - we need new entrants with real passion - it goes a long way. If you still apply for admin level jobs, play up your general admin experience and make it clear that you are looking for a solid role for 2-3 years to build your practical experience to back up your qualifications.
  • In reply to Fiona:

Thank you very much for your advice :)
  • In reply to Fiona:

Nothing wrong with someone going to university and getting a BSc in HRM and then going on to either an MA/MSc, as long as the student has taken the opportunity to undertake a placement or two, The trick is to get placements arranged in year 2 and when I say placements I don't mean as an HR assistant or HR Administrator. In the past year I have seen a couple of students who have undertaken placements mid-course at HRBP level, that does mean that their four years at university is expanded to six if you include the placement years. I do agree with your sentiment that nobody should be undertaking a Level 7 without any previous experience and if I'm totally honest Level 5 as well.
  • Hi Adrienne

Have you had someone review your CV and given you feedback to see if you are presenting yourself in the best possible light?

Have you considered doing temp roles to help get your foot in the door somewhere?

Anél
  • Hi Adrienne,

I am right there with you and understand how you feel. I have completed level 3, studying level 5 but no luck with HR positions. I have applied for +30 positions over the last 10weeks in HR, Payroll, Accounts without any luck. Employers sometimes forget that they also started somewhere to become expert in their jobs. I wish you good luck!
  • In reply to Oumou K:

I think there is generally an over supply of candidates and a lower demand than usual at the moment (agencies I have spoken to are blaming uncertainty over Brexit for recruitment drives on hold), so try not to take it too personally. Pragmatically, if you have a lot of candidates then you can pick and choose and it's natural to prioritise those with experience. Keep trying and I'm sure you'll find the right employer who does want an entry level person.
  • In reply to Fiona:

Thanks you Fiona. My aim is to apply for at least +2 jobs every week. I am confident will find my luck. It is sometimes frustrating not to be given a chance
  • Hi, I read posts like this all the time - "qualified" but no experience.

You need to understand the HR market is oversaturated, and with many senior people being made redundant, employers can get highly experienced people forever reducing salaries.

Having said that here would be my suggestions:

1) try to get an HR apprenticeship

2) keep applying for ENTRY level jobs, but with a level 7 qualification, people may be hesitant to recruit you because you are likely to have expectations of moving on quickly

3) get a job where you get line management experience, and then look for a sideways move in the organisation. having line management experience increases your value as an HR professional - it adds to your credibility

Hope this helps and good luck

This blog hay help - https://rapidbi.com/what-came-first-the-job-or-the-experience/

• It might be worth looking into Office Management roles within small companies. A great deal of these roles incorporate HR, which will enable you to get the experience that you need. That is what I did and it proved successful!
  • In reply to Paul:

I think this it what is wrong with the industry. If you shouldn’t take a level 7 without a level 5 in HR why do CIPD accredited MSC except students without a level 5 and charge them almost £10,000 for the course?! If what your saying is correct then CIPD and universities should be held responsible for this. I am currently taking a level 7 without a level 5! Academically it made sense for me to do a masters. Additionally, I have 15 years of senior management experience managing HR for the employees I managed without being a HR practitioner.!! I had also applied for HR roles for a number of years before I started studying and now whilst studying at Level 7 and obtaining distinctions in every module. I have now completely gone off the idea of working in HR.. The industry to me seems completely bias. If your more qualified than a hiring manager they won’t take you on or give you a chance to gain experience because they are worried you will get there job. To me that is discrimination and bias. Everything that HRM preaches about and advises leaders and managers they do not practice when your looking to gain experience within their industry. I will use my Masters now to continue my career in management instead of HR that I had always had a passion for. Recruiters and HR managers are missing out on some fabulous candidates because they have not had an official HR post without recognising that on some companies managers and senior managers do manage HR. To me the industry does not give people a chance everyone is worried you will take their role and no one looks beyond whether or not someone has worked in a HR department or actually has the same skills in a different role .
    I give up on the industry. If you look at previous posts people fall into it by mistake with never even having an interest in it. There are many people walking round qualified in HR who can’t get a job and many people working in HR not qualified. This would never happen in medicine or teaching which is why HR is often never taken seriously enough by CEO’s and executives. The industry needs to change you either need to be qualified or you don’t. As for the level 7 you shouldn’t be accepted by CIPD if you should have done a level 5 first!!!!
  • Have you considered looking in the NHS website? I know our particular Trust has had ongoing HR recruitment - the NHS jobs website is central across all of the UK
  • In reply to Natalie:

Hi Natalie

I read Paul's comment slightly differently - he said that people shouldn't undertake a level 7 qualification without some experience and I think he then meant that also people perhaps shouldn't undertake a Level 5 qualification without some experience too, not that they shouldn't undertake a Level 7 qualification without a Level 5 qualification. In the wider context of gaining experience as well as qualifications in HR rather than just gaining qualifications it makes more sense reading that way, I think.

Kind regards

Jackie
  • In reply to Natalie:

Hi Natalie

Sorry you are having difficulties with getting a job in HR and are now disillusioned and frustrated with the industry. Some thought of mine (which are just thoughts)

Universities allow any "qualified" candidates onto degree programs as much because they are businesses needing to increase numbers and earn revenue. I think the individual institutions would take the view that its down to the applicant/student to make a judgement as to the course and if its right for them / their life stage and their future career.

I think the point about gaining experience before doing L7 is more about being able to benefit from the course and being able to relate real life experiences to the academic learning. Rather than any sort of absolute hurdle. I have said on other threads its entirely possible for many people to academically do a L7 course and gain the certificate but that may well not be the best way to get the most out of the course! To get the most out of a L7 (for me) both the academic and the opportunity to practice those skills should go hand in hand - sadly it often doesn't.

I have also commented on other threads that sadly people with A-typical careers do struggle to get into and on in HR. People who move across from other professions (and its often Teaching, Retail Management or Senior Management) do find it very hard to find their first role. Its partly at least because their backgrounds "confuse", in the same way anyone changing career mid path needs to have a strong narrative as to why and how it all fits together. Add that to the massive over supply of candidates and many with both experience and qualifications and I agree many recruiters play safe.I am not sure that's evidence of unfair discrimination but its a moot point.

Personally I really don't think its a case of people not willing to hire good strong candidates as they fear they will be shown up. I think its more often a case of people not hiring very well qualified candidates because the role they are applying for is too junior and they fear they wont stay.

Finally I do not think the reason HR has / doesn't have credibility is to do with the reasons you suggest. Its true there are good HR people and bad HR people. Some in each camp with qualifications and some without. But its about experience, commercial judgement and applied knowledge that tends to mark out the ones with influence over the also rans.

Good luck inn what evber you do next.