Self-funding CIPD course as doesn't want tie-in

After asking employer if they are willing to help fund the level 5 CIPD course and him brushing it off. Employee decided to self fund the course... now employer has been told by a friend that he should pay for the course or risk losing said member of staff due them advancing in careers and able to gain more pay etc. Employee doesn’t want employer to fund the course anymore and instead would like to request a pay rise due to not being on a great wage anyway for the role they do... how would they go about this?

• Two different matters, one being temporary and the other permanent. And BTW lots of employers don't contribute to CIPD, mine didn't (back in the day!)

Employee should put a business case together of why they feel they are worth more, what they bring to the business, what quantifiable improvements / savings have they made, etc? Also some local benchmarking might assist.
  • Employee didn’t expect emoter to pay for course so enrolled off own back.. the issue now is employer has now suggested paying for the course in a panic that he will lose said member off staff once they are qualified.. employee now doesn’t want them to fund the course but now thinks that employer will just assume they are doing it to find a better career
  • In reply to Lindsay:

Depends what the employer asks for in return - if no tie in then why not get them to fund it?

But a grown up conversation with employer around career expectations, development opportunities and where the employer sees them developing might well be in order.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Apr, 2021 15:10

In reply to Keith:

A grown up conversation, yes... and let's be honest, most people are always open to new opportunities (if not consciously searching).
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Steve Bridger said:
    and let's be honest, most people are always open to new opportunities

Is that a job advert Steve Bridger?

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Apr, 2021 15:36

In reply to Keith:

LOL!

(No)
  • I self-funded my course because I wanted to be in control of the choices I had with my career. I didn't expect my current employer to give me a pay rise though for doing it. Negotiating on pay is not just about the qualifications I hold, it's also about the context, the scope of the role, performance, market etc and also salary increases don't usually come with a tie in.

I'd say the ship has sailed on the original opportunity and just because the employer is now worried they might lose the person, it might already be too late to save the trust, confidence & psychological contract between them and this individual. They won't know without that grown up conversation, discussed below, and even with it....there are no guarantees it will keep them. That's the nature of the employer / employee relationship.