Managing Employment Relation Assessment

Hello Hr people,

I am currently studying CIPD level 7 through ICS learn and I am only 3 modules away from completion. I have just started Managing Employee Relation and I would like some advice regarding the case study I am dealing with. Please see attached the word document with the case study.   Any suggestions is much appreciated. Also if any of you is doing the same course I will be quite happy to share materials,ideas etc..... 

Looking forward to get your response.

Regards,

Giulio

• Hi

You are likely to get more responses if you first give some of your own ideas. I am sure this isn’t what you intended but your post comes across as “please can someone do my homework for me”.

The community isn’t here to do student homework but we are more than happy to try and add value to your own ideas and to build or critique your own suggestions.

So what do YOU think are the main ER issues in the case study?

Keith
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith,
    thanks for pointing this out. As you are saying I didn't intend to "use" your knowledge for my assessment and I agree with you that my post sound like that.
    I personally think that the main problem for my case study is that the company is still maintaining a rigid centralized structure which, despite making the flagship store successful isn't appropriate for directing other branches. Making this the starting point a series of assumptions will follow: lack of communication among branches and employee engagement and involvement are some of the ER issues I have identified as in one part of the case study is said that employee feel they dont have voice . Poor performance and high absences rate in one of the store could be linked to employees dissatisfaction and this is supported by a vast literature. Obviously it seems they don't have an appropriate absence management policy and the high rate is bringing low morale and putting under pressure other employee. I think the absence rate needs to be addressed and disciplined following the right procedures.

Cant link the pay rate dissatisfaction to nothing really, any suggestion on this?
    My problem is that I don't have much practical experience in this field and need to rely only on literature suggestions and interpretation of the issues.

Any advice, suggestions are really appreciated.

Regard,
    Giulio
  • In reply to Giulio Violante:

You don’t need much practical experience - it’s probably why they selected this one.

Initial things to think about

1) what do you think is the profile and motivation of the typical person working in a high end bookshop? What would they be looking for from their employer and employment and is this being satisfied?

2) how do you transition from a centralised command and control structure in a family owned business to a more inclusive one? How do you get the family out more to the other stores?

3) what new and better communications tools and methods would you put in place?

4) how would you look at staff involvement? A staff council? All team meeting? Short rotations to mothership?

5) what will a uniform bring and what will it lose? Is it the uniform or how it’s being imposed? What involvement did anyone have? Given (1) above are these the types of people who will want to wear a uniform

6) is part of the problem that the mothership is a destination with high end products and staff and the regional centres are “just” retail units with different staff profiles? Ones a career one a job.

7) it’s interesting the perception that a salary above the NMW was good but that the NLW is poor. That was obviously communicated badly.

8) if customer services is so important how’s it incentivised/ rewarded

9) what is general training policy / approach? Given (1) that’s probably very important.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith,

thanks for your suggestions which are indeed helping me a lot. You have mentioned a few points that I had never thought about and also made me look the assessment from a different perspective.

Kind Regards,

Giulio
  • In reply to Giulio Violante:

No problem. Good luck !
  • Hi Giulio

You posted in 2019 but I am doing the course right now. If you still have any ideas, materials etc you can help with, i'd very much appreciate it. Email: priya_t@hotmail.com

Thank you

Priya