CIPD Level 3 Diploma or Certificate?

Hello All,

I am about to embark on my HR career starting with the CIPD Level 3. I find myself struggling to make a decision over which course to take, the latest Foundation Certificate Membership in People Practice (end result Foundation Membership) or the original Diploma in HR practice (Associate Membership). I have sought advice from both ICS and Avado (the two providers on my list). They differ in opinions as to which is better but what I have been told is that there wasn't a big enough difference between level 3 and 5 (this inspired the change) and that whilst the courses are similar the latest version (Foundation Certificate) has fewer units to study albeit they go into more detail.

So, my question for you all is - Is it better to have the older version, covering significantly more topics, ending with a membership with a higher status or a more up to date course covering less topics but with a better understanding on the few ending with a Foundation Membership?

If there is a smaller difference between the old level 3 course and level 5 am I not in better standing to progress with the current syllabus or am I shooting my self in the foot by not going for the new course that has been changed for a reason?

I am looking for a course and provider to give me the most information that asks for the most from me to provide me with the best possible footing entering into this new career choice.

Any advice or information is much appreciated however big or small, related or not.

Many thanks!

Levina.

• Hi Levina, I started my L5 last year, my decision to skip L3 and go straight into L5 was that I have a lot of management experience including dealing with a wide variety of HR scenarios, plus advice from a HR colleague that with my experience I should go to L5. it is not a walk in the park and does involve a lot of reading, assignment work (in academic format) and time commitment. I am only a third of the way through but enjoying it and have a good group of fellow students to work with. we are only able to do the course online due to covid, so take that into consideration. I guess you need to decide what area you want to work in as opposed to what type of membership you want. That should then help. I chose New college Swindon as it offered the right times and price. hope this is of some help. Regards Alan
  • Hi, I am in the same predicament as I am starting my career in HR. I am unsure whether to go with ICS and do the foundation level 3 certificate or with Avado and do the level 3 diploma. They did advice if I have no experience/knowledge it’s best to start with level 3
  • In reply to Shari:

Hi Shari,

I decided the Foundation Certificate was the best option as it has more up to date and relevant information including topics such as diversity and inclusion, I am planning to do the level 5 at some point in my career so felt it best to have a strong foundation in most recent practices.

I signed up with ICS on Monday because it gives me the freedom to go at my own pace, in this case I am currently furloughed from work and have significantly more time on my hands and wanted to get a good head start to complete the course in the best possible time, my understanding is that Avado is more regimented, not at all a bad thing, just not for me.

Best of luck in your decision and starting your course, maybe see you in the forums ;)

• In reply to Shari:

Hi Shari

I really like your last sentence, as I was in the same position some years ago. And worst, because I was unsure what level to do I ended up by procrastinating! I think it is a wise advice you received because the foundation level gives you the opportunity to fully explore the Professional Map, which is the cornerstone of any HR activity and career.

Similarly, you get a good understanding of all the different objectives that make the foundation of HR various activities, you get all the basics at the right time. And at that stage, you feel no pressure since you haven't missed anything, you are where new entrants start. So you feel really comfortable in your learning, you can ask all the questions to ensure that you make the right career decision about the specific area of HR you would like to develop yourself in.

And more importantly, at that stage, everyone is completely new in the field so they kind of got the same worries. You will also benefit from the knowledge and experience of students that are already working at an entry level job, without HR qualification.

Best wishes
  • Hi Awa

Hope you are well.
    Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate your advice and totally agree. After speaking with an ICS advisor I decided to enrol on the level 3 foundation certificate in people practice on Monday! I am excited to start the HR journey and see where it takes me.

Thank you again :-)