Level 7

Hi all, 

I've previously completed my level 3 and then level 5 CIPD in HR.. I'm currently working as a HR Manager and am not sure what to do next.

I enjoy continuous self development and am contemplating doing a level 7 diploma next. I wanted to know how many other HR professionals felt compelled to go all the way and what did you gain from completing the level 7? Did it help you in your career or was it just a tool to gain chartered status?

I imagine a lot of people feel that on the job experience is probably a better way to climb the ladder once you reach a certain level so I'm just a bit dubious as to whether it will be worth the time effort and money. I have work and a daughter that take up a lot of time so its not a decision I can take lightly but it is something that's been scratching at the back of my mind for a while now. 

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. 

• Hi Becci,
    Experience does count a lot however you would be surprised how many of the job adverts still ask for CIPD level 7 as a minimum requirement for HR BP roles - I spent last 3 months looking for a job and in few cases no level 7 was a cut-off, especially with so many people on the job hunt now. It might be not the case for the HR Manager, but I am not sure...

I finish CIPD level 7 fast-track program this month and I found it quite demanding when I was employed (I have a little child too). So my advice to anyone considering it would be to really start working on the assignments from day one when it would be more manageable and less stressful. I always find CIPD programs good to see a bigger picture of the connection between business strategy and HR and/or look into an area which you maybe don't work on a lot in a day-to-day job.