UNIT 5UIN - advice please

Hi,

I am currently studying my Level 5 partner/consultant apprenticeship with the training provided by Crosby.

We are currently on the 5th module Using Information in Human Resources Unit 5UIN which asks you to critically review a minimum of 4 sources of information and then make recommendations to your organisation for improvement of practices/processes.

I am struggling with even getting started with this module, I have gained data from my current business on sickness absence and I am looking through different sources of information on employee absence however I feel that I am overthinking the 'critically review' part as I cannot get any wording down on paper and keep hitting a blank screen.

Can anyone advise or support me on the format and layout for this unit at all or send an example of a source that has been critically reviewed so I can use this as a jumping off point.

Appreciate any help on this as I am already overdue.

James

• Hi James

How are you getting on now?

Just started uin now

Regards

Steven
  • James,

I hope that you were able to make progress on this

CIPD provide a number of sources that could be used, including research on Absence and articles in People Management.

To critically analyse the sources I would look for signs of where the data falls short (data is old, sample size too small or not representative, period covered too short etc) or where there is potential bias ( e.g article or research is sponsored by an organisation with a vested interest ) - what are the strengths of the source and what are the areas that make it less reliable?.

From a Structure point of view following a loose dissertation structure may be of use
    but I guess as long as it is logical and follows your argument and meets the needs of the question you should be fine.
    - exec summary / intro / Source 1 / Source 2 etc.... conclusion and recommendations / references
    I hope that this is of use and good look in your studies

Sarah
  • I have just started this unit with MOL, there is so many topics its a minefield.. my plan is to try to find good secondary research, then see if I can link any and add my own primary data. Keep in touch x
  • In reply to Sarah:

Thank you for the advice, much appreciated. I am going to take a various amount of sources and then as you said, analyse the strengths and weaknesses and make recommendations based on the conclusions of these.
  • In reply to Emma:

Hi Emma, after the advice from Sarah and other colleagues in my group I believe the best approach is to find a source that relates to your topic and then you can critically review it in your assignment.

It appears that it doesn't need to be reliable, as long as you analyse it and say why it may not be reliable i.e it is an online journal from a news article with no case studies, therefore it the writer's opinion is the only source of evidence.
    Hope that helps and let me know how you get on.

Thanks
    James
  • In reply to Steven:

Hi Steve,

Slowly getting there with it. Unfortunately it is hard to get the ball rolling with it as many things have happened inside and outside work which put a damper on the course.

How have you found it?

Thanks
    James
  • In reply to James:

Hi james

I am trying to get back into it today. Drop me a whatsapp message 07587033473 or an email on sdcowie@hotmail.com

I am choosing my topic thinking about retention in the hospitality sector

What you doing?

Steven