MSc / MA eligibility

I am looking into undertaking further study and one option is an MSc / MA in HR. There are a few 'top-up' options, which are generally asking for the Post Graduate Diploma as an entry requirement. I am a Chartered Member but don't have the Diploma.

My question is whether anyone has any experience of this route and whether CIPD Membership was acceptable for eligibility?

Thanks

• I do not believe ( in the absence of anyone else popping up) that generally CIPD membership could be used to substitute fir a DHRM as entry/part exemption for these courses.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith. Thanks - this seems to be the general response from Universities so far. I wonder if the Core Personnel and Development maps across as an equivalent?
  • Hi Clive
    What the educational institutions are looking for is something that demonstrates the level of your academic knowledge of the subjects in their curriculum. CIPD membership levels are less an indication of academic knowledge and more about application of knowledge and experience. Consequently I don’t think you’ll have a lot of success with the approach you are considering....
  • In reply to Ray:

Hi Ray. I agree that membership is not likely to be successful. However I am now thinking that as the Core Personnel and Development module was a taught and examined module, it might be considered for exemption. It was taken some 20 years ago, but I hope that it is still recognised!
  • In reply to Clive Roy Ozzard:

If you have sat and successfully passed the Core Personnel and Development module I can understand your position, Clive. For me there are "examinations" and "examinations".
    I teach the subjects of Senior Executive Remuneration and Total Reward Management on an "Professional MBA" programme in International HR in Paris (full time, one-year course). What is expected from the students (typically 5-10 years experience after a degree level qualification or long experience) is that during their course work, final exams, thesis and oral they are able to demonstrate not only an understanding of the academic theories but also how the issues that these theories seek to address (not always successfully) are handled in the real world of work - with more importance being attached to the second aspect - much like CIPD exams. I suspect traditional academia will focus more on the first part in their expectations than on the that second......