Level 3 or Level 5 CIPD?

Hi Everyone,

My employers have agreed to fund CIPD training but have left it to me to decide which level to study at and I can't decide whether the Level 3 or level 5 diploma would be most suitable.

I have minimal HR experience but work for a small company where it has become necessary for someone to gain knowledge in this area (hence why they are paying for my training!) and have previously studied to degree level.

The qualification will be of practical use in my current job but will hopefully also benefit me in future career moves, so I'm inclined to study for the level 5 diploma and get as qualified as I can while the training is on offer, but I'm concerned that for someone without HR experience this might be too much of a challenge?

Can anyone advise if the level 5 diploma would be too difficult without prior HR experience?

Many thanks.

• Hi Claire, I was in a very similar position to you a couple of years ago. I did have some HR experience but it was minimal. I went with the Level 5 in the end and had no regrets! The fact you have studied to degree level will be useful in terms of the study skills e.g. research & essay writing. The course does make you think about how to tie your learning in with your organisation i.e. not just going through the topics, but reflecting greatly about how to apply the learning to your specific organisation drawing on workplace examples. This is manageable though! And if stuck the tutor will be able to advise / would be great to have a mentor in your workplace. It is challenging and more work than I expected, but I'm so glad I did it. Louisa
  • I would agree - my company paid for me to do a level 5 diploma. We’re a small company, and my background was not in HR when I took on the sole HR role four years ago! The level 5 (which I did as an apprenticeship) was both stretching and practical, and has given me a broader understanding of the area I now work in.