What level to go for

Hi guys, 

I'm new here, so I'm sorry if this topic repeats itself. I would need some of your advice though. I'm working in hospitality for 7 years now, and being in management for at least 5. Recently being in charge of two restaurants, having quite a lot of HR experience. In our company managers are responsible for dealing with most of HR related cases. Thanks to that I have experience in recruitment, grievances, failing or passing probation, informal and formal meetings, disciplinary, maternity leave etc etc. 

As I'm very fascinated by HR, I decided to start a CIPD diploma to have not only experience, but also all the knowledge needed to do this job well. My main goal is to start working in HR. I have talked to adviser from Avado who said that with my experience I could probably start level 5. What is your opinion? And if you agree, do you think it's better to do diploma or certificate ? 

Last question is to people who used Avado recently. I checked their opinions online, and there is quite a lot of bad ones. What is your experience? What did you find challenging while studying with them, and what was good ? 

Thank you so much for all  your time.

Cheers, 

Joanna 

• Hi Joanna, I would agree - Level 5 seems like the best start point as it will support you to transfer your skills. It will help you to reframe your experience into a HR Management perspective. The Level 3 on the other hand focuses on individual skills which it sounds like you've already built for yourself.

As for providers, do shop around they offer the qualification in completely different ways. You have ICS and DPG which are your elearning options. Avado which is fairly similar with a couple more webinars thrown in. Acacia Learning which is more workshop / live online focused. Local colleges which are one or two evenings a week. Just consider what kind of support and networking options are provided, who will be teaching you and what would suit you best.

Happy to help with anything else!

Rachel
  • Hi Joanna,
    I am just right on the situation you've been and it would be great if you could share your experience.
    I am actually just a click to enroll into CIPD L5 - though my partner is suggesting to start on L3. And I've been a manager here in London for the last 4 years.
    Did you go for Avado at the end?

It would be great to have the feedback from someone with the same background... and hope you got your CIPD already!

Thank you,
    Oscar