Struggling to find a L7 topic - investigating a business issue

Help!  This sounds stupid but I have a complete mental block and I would like some suggestions.  

I am working as an HR consultant for a large manufacturing organisation.  I would like to use that as a basis for my research if I can, but don't have to.  

I have 3 broad ideas, but just am completely stuck knowing how to frame them, and then how to get my research done in this lockdown where managers and employees seem to have very little time to speak to me.  I'd welcome any comments or suggestions: 

Research option 1:  To identify the factors that contribute to the successful implementation and performance of self-directed leadership teams within a traditional business environment.  

My idea here was to conduct a team effectiveness questionnaire with members of one or more self directed leadership teams, to rate their effectiveness. 

I could then interview the bosses of the teams about factors they consider important to success, and then perhaps gather some secondary data about factors such as how performance is evaluated and rewarded (team vs individual) etc.  

The problem with this is that I wonder if a sample of 1 team would be sufficient? 

Research option 2: To evaluate the likelihood that COVID-19 flexible and agile working arrangements will permanently change the future of work and working practices.  

This seems like a very current topic.  I wonder how I might narrow it down - to a sector or part of the working population, for example, and how to access primary research?  

Research option 3: The organisation I'm working with is asking me to improve their organisation design.  They want an organisation that is more agile at decision making, and cheaper.  I'm using a data-driven approach to the work, including an analysis of spans and layers.  I have access to lots of data, but don't know how I might frame this into an interesting research topic that I could actually see through. 

My tutor hasn't been much help at ICS learn.  Any suggestions much appreciated.  

• Hi I wonder if there is something in2 that could draw on 1) responses to SARS 2) responses to swine flu and 3) expectations of millennials that you may find useful for accessing primary research.
    There may be something about agility of adaptation or work/life balance?
  • Hi Isabelle
    I'm currently supervising students on an MSc HRM programme who need to investigate a business issue and make costed recommendations for improvements. Is your research the same or is it purely academic in nature?
    I'm asking because your second choice of topic is going to be purely academic since nobody can actually predict what will happen post pandemic. Furthermore, if you were studying through my employer the topic might fall foul of the Ethics Committee. Raising issues around COVID 19 with people who may be struggling already (perhaps as a result of mental health conditions) could open a whole can of worms.
    Moving on to options 1 and 3 - which seem more practical in nature - what aspects of your current course modules do they link with? What's the literature you can access to provide the foundations for your research?
  • In reply to Anna:

Hi Anna, This was a super helpful comment and caused me to rethink my topic. I work as an HR consultant on a contract with an organisation - so not fixed to it. I have decided to research how effectively data analytics are adopted in UK companies to improve business outcomes through HRM. My research will explore the use of data analytics and data-driven insights in theory and practice, and will make recommendations for strategies HR can adopt for more effective implementation. There is plenty of available research about the topic of data analytics and its application in HR, however, my experience (which I will test) is that there is a gap between theory and effective application. I'd like to how data analytics are used in practice (so primary research through mixed methods of surveys and interviews). I will interview HR practitioners in my linkedin network, in addition to a selection of HR practitioners in the organisation where I'm working. I may also gather primary data from suppliers of HR analytics software and services, and business decision makers. I think this could give a good triangulated analysis. This will enable me to determine whether there is a gap between theory and practice, the potential causes, and make some recommendations for how that gap could be bridged. Again, I'd really welcome your comments - the above from you was so insightful.
  • In reply to Isabelle Perrett:

I'm glad to have been of help Isabelle
    Your new project is well structured and should produce some interesting results.
    Best of luck with your research.