Online Mediation Courses

Hi all

I just posted this from my phone as well, but I don't think it went through!  Apologies if I've posted twice.

I currently find myself in between jobs (like a lot of people at the moment) and thought maybe I should use this time constructively.  I'd like to do a mediation course, but have only found one that's online.  It's called Align Mediation, they say they are the only accredited course in the UK.

Does anyone have any experience with them before I part with my cash?

Thanks in advance

Hazel 

• Hi Hazel, interesting stuff, just had a look myself as I've not heard of them. Just a couple of things to highlight before you do part with your hard-earned money - this outfit offers training suitable to the civi/commercial mediation arena and I understand the model is different to that of workplace mediation. So while you would probably learn the essentials about mediation per se it won't help with mediating cases within the working environment. Secondly, just a slight correction about the claim about 'the only accredited course in the UK'. This is not entirely true as many mediation providers already deliver accredited training - my training courses were accredited through the Open College Network (OCN) - but I think Align claim theirs is the only accredited ONLINE course since (I think) 99% of mediation training is classroom based. One other thing I noted: while the Align training is registered with the CMC - which is important in order to automatically join the CMC as a member - they do NOT endorse this online course. So if you intend to use your mediation skills within the workplace I'm sorry to say I only recommend a complete halt to your plans. However if you're serious about putting the spare time to good use you may like to contact the CMC direct for some signposting about suitable training resources to get you off the starting blocks and also have a look at the UK Mediation website, they often run webinars which are worth looking at. Unfortunately they are no longer recognised by the CMC but the training is really good. Good luck!
  • In reply to Clare Marie:

Hi Clare

Thank you so much for taking the time to not only reply but to do a bit of further digging! I really appreciate that!
    I kind of struggled with the fact that I would have thought most mediation courses use role play as part of their training, I can’t see that working online!
    I think I will save this for when it’s ok to go back into the classroom! I’ll stick to some LinkedIn learning perhaps for now. Take care. Hazel
  • In reply to Hazel:

Thanks for the reply Hazel, yes, keep those plans on ice for now but please don't abandon them altogether. There was also one other factor about this outfit which I forgot to include, which is the fact there is very little info about the people themselves. In fact I found out more on LinkedIn and I always get a bad feeling when there is (apparently) a lack of transparency. However I would encourage you to look at the UK Mediation website in the meantime, their material is really excellent and please do come back with more questions when you're ready to get stuck in.
  • In reply to Clare Marie:

Thanks Claire.

Take care!

Hazel
  • Hi Hazel, just wanted to mention: UK Mediation are holding a webinar on Friday April 24th, if you're interested this is the link, once the page is displayed simply scroll down until you see the details for registering: https://ukmediation.net/

In fact the webinar is available to anyone, not just Hazel! :-)