CIPD vs Post Grad Diploma/MSC

Hi

I am currently finishing the last module of my Business Management degree which i have been completing full time for the last 2 years having previously studied part time.

Prior to full time education i was a manager in a large supermarket for 12 years and through this i have gained a reasonable understanding of the HR role, particularly after the in store HR departments were closed and tasks delegated to managers.

I am looking for advice regarding the next steps if possible?

i spoke to ICS learn regarding CIPD and they have suggest level 5 as an appropriate level for me to study but i also have the option to start the Post Grad or MSC in HRM via the Open University which is also accredited.

which do you feel would be the best option as HR professionals? is the MSC too advanced in paper given my relative lack of practical work?

Thanks in advance

Greg

• Hi Greg
    As ever this is a balance between academic ability and experience. Some facts for you to consider.
    The Intermediate qualification at Level 5 is degree level
    The Advanced qualification at Level 7 is post grad
    So at the academic level it would appear that the Level 7 is a good progression for you.
    Now to experience
    Your operational experience with a heavy people management load is really good.
    Another point to conside is that the Advanced Diploma is the only qualification that will allow you to become a Chartered Mamber.
    So seriously consider this as it will save you time and money.
    At the end of the Advanced Diploma you will automatically achieve Associate Membership of CIPD. You will then need to upgrade to become a Chartered Member you will need 3 years of experience.
    It will take about 18 months to get the Diploma so some of the previous experience you have could be used.
    If you wish to chat please contact me via LinkedIn and I will get back to you.
    Hope this helps!
  • I am assuming you worked for Sainsbury's - I was one of the HR in store team to be made redundant and I doing well now.
  • There are lots of threads on a similar vein if you use the search facilities.

Nub of argument is around qualification V experience. You almost certainly will be able to do the Masters but you may find it closing as many doors or more than it opens as you will be over qualified and under experienced. You may confuse and put off recruiters unless you can show a comparable growth in your experience
  • In reply to Jules:

Jules

Your correct! Definitely gained a greater appreciation for the HR functions when the managers left.

I have a lot of connections on LinkedIn from HR colleagues I have worked with over the years and it’s interesting to see how they have all moved on and seem very happy with their new roles.

It’s great to see :)
  • In reply to Keith:

Keith

Thanks for advice,

I have had a read of some of the other posts to gain a better understanding. The experience was certainly a factor that raised some concerns for me

Greg