CIPD newbie help

I have a full-time job so i wont be able to attend most, if not ALL, real time lessons. Do you think i can pass this course without attending any classes live? 

I will of course read the presentations that i have missed

any thoughts are appreciated!! 

• If you cant attend lessons / classes then I would have thought looking at one of the many virtual/online providers seems the better option
  • I did my qualification through an online provider and I couldn't always login to view the tutorials live. They were all recorded and available from the next day.
    I'm not sure how you will manage if you mean that you have to go to a college etc and won't be able to attend those.
  • Will your employer not give you time to go if it is a college course. If it is online, then you can view as said before.
  • thank you for your replies.. i have now realised a was vague
    @keith thought your reply was a bit sarcastic
  • Hi,

I'm starting the online course tomorrow and I'm the same. I see the first live session is at 1pm Tuesday....so I'm just going to be watching the videos when I can (in the evenings mostly). I'm thinking this won't affect our ability to do the course too much and lots of people will be in the same boat I imagine. :)
  • Hi,

I'm starting the online course tomorrow and I'm the same. I see the first live session is at 1pm Tuesday....so I'm just going to be watching the videos when I can (in the evenings mostly). I'm thinking this won't affect our ability to do the course too much and lots of people will be in the same boat I imagine. :)
  • In reply to Amelia:

Cannot see why Keith's response could in any way be construed as sarcastic. I took it as him giving you very good advice.
  • In reply to Amelia:

Amelia - I have re-read my post several times and I am at a total loss to see how it could be construed as sarcastic.

There are two main options for study. Traditional university based classroom teaching and the alternative being virtual / online providers where you study in your own time using online resources.

If you can’t get to the traditional class room based studying then online seems logical / your only option - so practical rather than sarcastic surely?

• In reply to Amelia:

While welcoming you to the "Community" Amelia, I think you are being a little presumptive in suggesting Keith's reply was in any way intended to be sarcasm. You were receiving advice from one of our most prolific and longest-serving contributors on this site where sarcasm, put-down, and other forms of abuse (be it professional or inter-personal) are strictly monitored and excluded.

Good training courses are tailored to their delivery environment. Online and other distance-learning courses containing additional or different approaches to issues and course-content in order to ensure that information is being communicated fully without the "cues" of interpersonal reaction or voice-timbre, or the individualised adjustments of "pace" to student response, that are possible in the face-to-face classroom setting.

So I see no sarcasm in Keith's reply, merely a brief answer tailored to a student member making their first "Community" submission, who might (as far as he or any of us knows) be completely unaware of the differing value and accessibility of different forms of course delivery.

It was a simple and simply informative answer to your question. given the limited information available and without expectation that it would be taken as anything else in this, Professional, context and environment.

I hope that reassures you that this is very definitely a "No Troll Zone" in which we sometimes may get involved in some professionally tough and occasionally contentious discussions (and might also wander into poetry, music, philosophy and unicorns), but nevertheless remain personally respectful and considerate; both in questioning and replying.... even when challenging or challenged.

P

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

13 Jan, 2020 12:47

Welcome to the Community, Amelia. Knowing those who responded as I do... you're in good hands. One of the drawbacks of online exchanges though.
  • In reply to Peter:

P.S. To both Amelia and Ashley (Welcome to the latter also):  If you are indeed going to be unable to attend almost any of the lectures, then I would discuss this with your tutor, both as a matter of courtesy and because if you let them know in advance that there are specific reasons for non-attendance they might both provide you with additional materials/support to ensure you miss nothing and not misinterpret your absences as lack of interest/diligence when it comes to marking/assessment.

P

• In reply to Ashley:

thanks Ashley! Gives me more confidence for this course .. see you in lesson :)
  • Welcome to the Community, Amelia. Realizing the individuals who reacted as I do... you're in acceptable hands. One of the disadvantages of online trades however.
  • Welcome to the Community, Amelia. Realizing the individuals who reacted as I do... you're in acceptable hands. One of the disadvantages of online trades however.
  • Good Evening, I started studying for my level 3 in December last year with ICS, I try to catch the live sessions when I can but also use the recorded sessions if I happen to be at work when they are live. Good luck with your studies!!