Making the move from teaching to HR- seemingly impossible

Hi everyone. 

I have been in secondary education/teaching internationally for over 6 years and have some retail/customer service experience prior to that. Having decided to leave teaching, I am really keen to start a career in HR but I am finding it impossible. I have applied for 20+ HR admin positions with no response. I know I need experience, but how do I go about this without being given a chance? 

Through teaching I was able to get some experience with recruitment/interviewing and I have taken some (free) online courses in HR which I have put on my CV. I have been teaching myself about UK employment law and I am very heavily considering embarking on a MSc in International Human Resource Management. I have looked for volunteering opportunities but there aren't many. 

My questions are: 

1. What's the best way to get experience? Keep applying for HR admin roles or is that a waste of time? Contact the HR departments of large companies directly? 

2. Will employers take more notice of me if I embark on the Masters? Although I am 95% sure that this is what I want to do, I really would like some experience before I jump into this

3. I am in talks with a few recruitment agencies for work. Is this a common route into HR for career changers? I really am not keen on the sales aspect of recruitment, but I will do it for a year if it helps me land a HR admin role. 

4. L & D is also highly appealing to me. Should I be focussing more on that as a route into HR? Is it easier to get an entry L & D role as a former teacher? 

Thank you! 

• In reply to Alana:

Hi Alana, I'm currently hoping to do the same thing. Have you succeeded? If so what changes did you make to get in? If not, I'd be very interested to hear what you're doing now!

Thanks,

Sarah
  • In reply to Alana:

Hi Alana, I'm currently hoping to do the same thing. Have you succeeded? If so what changes did you make to get in? If not, I'd be very interested to hear what you're doing now!

Thanks,

Sarah