HR Newbie

Hi All,

I just completed my level 7 and I am struggling (to say the least) to secure an HR position. I have applied for so many HR Admin/Advisor roles but haven't been shortlisted for any of them so far.

My background is in Resource/Workforce planning, so I know I have a lot of transferable skills, but I feel my CV is not up to part. I am just not too sure how to fix it. It also seems that every organisation is looking for someone who already has HR experience which I do not.

Any Advise? 

Thank you.

Shana

• Hi Shana,

I was in a similar situation last year, I had been out of a HR role for almost 3 years and was trying to get back in. I landed a new HR job in October thankfully and completed my level 5 in diploma in HRM too in November.
    Are you applying for jobs through agencies or on your own? LinkedIn is a great tool! There are so many groups too that you can join.

The advise I was given after going to the CIPD annual student conference last year was to try and find some volunteer HR tasks/roles. Not always possible if time is tight but worth a look around and ask. Also speaking to your "network" someone may know someone else looking to fill a position....I'm sure you've done that already so sorry if that's obvious.

For jobs you're interested in, I would go through the job description on the job post and make notes about what transferable skills I have that relate and relevant experience then tailor my CV to that job. I have probably 10 different versions of my CV all for HR roles.

Do you know anyone who has a small company where you could help out with some HR bits just to get some experience?

These forums are also brilliant for getting information and advise!

Not sure if this is any help but I know how frustrating it can be, the right role will come along.
    Lorraine
  • In reply to Lorraine:

I've been applying for jobs on my own and I've also been applying via LinkedIn.
    Volunteering is not something I have considered due to time constraints. But that may be something I need to think about a bit more.

Thank you Lorraine
  • Hi Shana,

We've all been there and I agree with Lorraine.

Keep on trying as the right job will come, but in the meantime, try approaching companies and asking whether you could volunteer.

They will get a keen employee interested in learning and you will get that experience which will then allow you to transition into a paid role. They might also offer you a position if things go well, you never know.

LinkedIn is also a must, some of the jobs never land it to career portals and are filled within a few days as the responses from LinkedIn are good enough. Keep an eye out, connect with recruiters from your area. No better place for online networking than LinkedIn.

Fingers crossed!
  • Keep going is the advise I would give you...

It can sometimes be a tough struggle, take what you can find initially but try and get experience in any way you can. If you can afford it consider a HR Intern as well.

Just keep applying..

LinkedIn is a powerful tool now so make sure you profile is up to date and start building a local network.
  • Have you asked for feedback on your CV from the roles you have applied for? That might help too.
  • In reply to Lukas:

Thank you Lukas.

Very helpful. I have asked my company for assistance but not a lot of people are willing to help. The 1 person who was willing has left.

I will have to think outside the box.
  • In reply to Lorraine:

I haven't actually, I alway get the generic response "due to the high volume of applications received, we are unable to provide individual feedback". But now you have mentioned it, I will ask next time.

Thank you.