Study Options

Hi all,

I'm new to HR in an official capacity but do have some experience of dealing with HR from previous roles.  I now look after HR alongside my finance role for my employers.

We currently employ the services of an experienced external adviser to support me with any issues and getting everything up to scratch and in place etc. in terms of policies of procedures.

However, I would like to complete a formal CIPD qualification for several reasons but mainly to provide more credibility to my own position (internally and externally) and be able to challenge and question confidently with knowledge (rather than the gut instinct I sometimes have to rely on currently).

Any study I do, would need to be online for logistical and time commitment issues, so I guess my question is, what level and qualification would you suggest is a good one to aim for?

I have been thinking a Level 3 or Level 5 in HR Practice - my preference would be to for level 5 (I might have a hard time getting agreement for another round of funding from my employer if I go for Level 3 initially) plus I feel level 5 offers a much broader skill base.

Any suggestions on which digital providers are a the best?  Some of the ones I have looked at, seem to have set 'optional' modules, that might not be the ones I would necessarily chose.

Any advice and guidance would be appreciated.

Anna

• Welcome to the forums

Generally with anyone saying "I am new to HR" I would recommend Level 3. It will give you the grounding in what you need right now.
  • Hi Anna, I'm just finishing up with my level 3. I'd highly recommend avado if you're looking for a provider. I've had an excellent experience through them. It's an online based learning platform and the tutors are great. Good luck and happy choosing! Franceska
  • Hi Anna
    I am currently doing the Level 5 HRM through AVADO, but I have a lot of HR experience, just never completed the study for it.
    You do not pick the 8 units individually, but the course is structured on a week-by-week basis covering the different areas of HR with tutorials built in and with clear dates when assessments are due. It takes 14 months to complete the whole course. The level 3 has less units and am assuming undertaken in a shorter timeframe.
    It is full on if you are working full-time, but if you keep up to date with the study and use the opportunity for any study leave with your employer, you can keep on top of it.
    I spoke to a few providers before choosing this one, so I can only recommend that you shop around for the one that works best for you, and the right level for the work you are doing.
    Hope that helps.
    Val
  • Hi Anna,

Usually we recommend anyone new to HR to study a Level 3 qualification as this will give you the essential base knowledge for you to start a career in the industry. In terms of providers, it is advisable to contact at least 3 providers to compare prices and compare the additional modules they are offering. Unfortunately these modules are selected by the provider so you most likely will not be able to choose these yourself.

I hope this helps.

Lila