First time studying since school & I'm completely lost

I am studying the level 5 diploma & attended my first workshop 5RST at the end of May; since then Ive been swallowed in the busy world of work, children & life. My first assignment is due to be submitted on 5th July & I havent even started.  Honestly, I think Ive put it off because Im scared. I left school well over 20 years ago & never attended uni or anything so quite simply put I have no idea where to start. I dont know how to write an assignment or reference (although I think the latter isnt really an issue) It just feels like an absolute mine field.  Having worked at HR BP & HRM levels for over 8 years its not that I dont understand the content its just working out how to put it all into the correct context. My career to date has been one of a very hands on generalist & analysis of data etc has been restricted to internal requirements so comparing labour trend markets right now just fries my brain. 

Is there anyone who can offer some guidance, tips, tricks, advice or a miracle??

Thanks in advance
Marie 

• As others have said, don't be at all afraid to ask for - and insist on getting - help.

But for your first assignment, the main thing is just to get started. Have a brain-dump, bullet-point the things you think you want to say, sort them into some kind of logical order, then start writing. You'll probably find that your thoughts evolve as you go, so either write your introduction at the end, along with your conclusion, or be prepared to tweak it afterwards. Worry about referencing at the end; stick a highlight in wherever you're going to need to add a reference, and come back to it later, so you don't disrupt your creative flow. Analysis is analysis - look for trends, similarities and differences, and comment on them, the same as you would when looking at internal data.

So the format may not be what your tutors are looking for, or it turns out you're writing at the wrong level? So what? You'll only find that out by having a go, and acting on the feedback you get. I'm currently writing a dissertation as the last part of a degree, and having regular "rabbit in headlights" moments, like you're having now (and I have to keep giving myself much the same kind of pep-talk!) The biggest hurdle is getting past that moment and getting started - once you do, you'll probably surprise yourself with how much you find that you have to say. Good luck!
  • There's lots of good advice here already. If you want another source then take a look at the Open University. They help lots of students every year, many of whom also haven't studied for a long time.

There are lots of guides and short self-paced courses freely available on their Open Learn website:
    www.open.edu/.../skills-for-study
  • Hi Marie
    That first assignment is definitely something that can make you feel overwhelmed. You've had lots of great advice already but I thought I'd let you know how I approached the process of writing the assignments on my level 5 course, in case it helps.
    The assignment is usually broken down into several sections. I wrote down the question in each section as a heading. Under each heading I listed the points that I thought were essential in answering the question, either as one word or a short phrase. I then expanded on each of these until I had the first (and usually very wordy) draft of my assignment. After that I fine-tuned the text until I was happy.
    I wish you lots of luck with your course. However daunting it may seem now, you'll feel a huge sense of achievement, elated and justly proud when you've qualified!
  • Hi Marie,
    I am in exactly the same predicament. Just try take one part at a time that's what I have been doing. Also the wats ap group has been amazing and so supportive. I am here if I can help at all :) x
  • Hi Marie,

Definitely pat yourself on the back, it's hard to study and work full-time at the same time, let alone with kids! I finished a part-time Masters in 2017 after leaving college in 2000. My advice would be:
    1. Talk to your tutors. Schedule a phone call or sit down session and ask them re. essay structure and what they are looking for.
    2. You can't read all the reference material and you can't even read all of the texts you choose. Learn to skim documents for the material you need and make a list of them. Start creating the reference lists early because this takes time.
    3. My biggest tip: find some other assignments on the same topic and see what references they used and what format they used. There's no need to completely reinvent the wheel as there is a standard enough format for most assignments.

I hope this helps!

Eilis
  • In reply to Eilis Mernagh:

Thanks Eilis, everything you've said makes perfect sense! I think I've beaten myself up quite a bit & I'm really hoping that once I finally start, things will flow quite naturally. I've had a call with my tutor this week & have time scheduled next week to just get my head down & get on. I'm not having much luck finding any assignments to view to get ideas from but I'll keep looking.

Appreciate you taking the time to respond; thanks once again.
    Marie
  • In reply to Sue Eakin:

Thanks Susan!
    Breaking down the assignment into headings has actually made me feel much better & I plan to follow the approach you've suggested.
  • In reply to Geof Sheppard:

Thank you!
  • In reply to Samantha:

I think looking at it as this big assignment rather than smaller parts was definitely one of the things that made me panic. I need a whats app group ;o)
    Thanks for replying, its really appreciated x
  • So many helpful tips here.

I just want to reiterate you are not alone. I did a Masters and Level 7 part time with young kids after 15 years as a lawyer including being a partner in a top 100 firm. It was incredibly tough even after a full on career and I often felt like giving up but am so glad I did not. Sometimes we just take on too much though so do not feel bad if you need to press pause. I am not sure if it will get me on my way with my career pivot but feel I have embraced a 'growth mindset' now/

I did use the Uni service that gives tips on assignment (e.g. style with say what you are going to say, say it then say what you said not content). I borrowed then invested in a copy of Cite Them Right - The Essential Referencing Guide by Pears and Shields as I had never referenced before (in my day at Uni there was no web so limited sources mainly cases and statutes or module text books). I spent hour pouring over feedback on assignments to make the next better only to get the same critique. I struggled to be academic rather than applied. TBHI needed more support than I could get. I struggled with doing so much online and IT and the concept of writing an assignment with family issues to juggle. If you can get a personal tutor that may help - perhaps the uni can recommend a recent graduating student from the course. I did some brief notes from articles I had read then just started putting it down playing with it as I went. Starting was half the battle and the Pomodoro principle of 25 mins then a 5 min break or whatever times worked for you - I preferred 50 mins on and 10 off.

The main thing that worked for me was remembering assignments did not need to be perfect - just good enough.
    I am a bit late replying - family stuff - hope it is going ok now.

Angela
  • In reply to Eilis Mernagh:

No problem Marie, glad it was of help!
  • In reply to Samantha:

Hi Samantha,
    How did you get on with this assignment? Have you submitted it yet?

The downsizing an Organisation is an area Im particularly struggling with. Draft was supposed to be in last Friday but after a full blown melt down to my stupid she said just send it in when its done. I honestly have no idea if Im on the right track or not! Its my own fault for leaving it to the last minute & not planning my time properly ... can definitely relate with you wanting to launch your laptop through the window ;o)
  • In reply to Lisa:

Vodka sales have definitely increased recently!!

I definitely agree that you deserve a pat on the back; how on earth you've completed 2 assignments since April is beyond me!

Any tips you'd be willing to share would be massively appreciated; my email address is MarieD@keeler.co.uk

Thanks
  • In reply to Marie:

Maria
    I will send you an email and I am happy to help where I can. CHR is a ******

Lisa
  • Hi Marie,
    I think most people covered it but I was the same, I'm just completing the cert and the best thing that helped me was just type everything you want out,as someone else said in bullet points. As you go through each point look up your lecture notes and add key words or look up a website to help you with the point and save it in the document to go back too. Once you have it all down you will realize you're half way there.

The fear of doing it can really paralyze your mind, well for me it did, but just writing points will help. You've got the experience so try not to worry the first one is always the hardest, you got this!