First time studying since school & I'm completely lost

I am studying the level 5 diploma & attended my first workshop 5RST at the end of May; since then Ive been swallowed in the busy world of work, children & life. My first assignment is due to be submitted on 5th July & I havent even started.  Honestly, I think Ive put it off because Im scared. I left school well over 20 years ago & never attended uni or anything so quite simply put I have no idea where to start. I dont know how to write an assignment or reference (although I think the latter isnt really an issue) It just feels like an absolute mine field.  Having worked at HR BP & HRM levels for over 8 years its not that I dont understand the content its just working out how to put it all into the correct context. My career to date has been one of a very hands on generalist & analysis of data etc has been restricted to internal requirements so comparing labour trend markets right now just fries my brain. 

Is there anyone who can offer some guidance, tips, tricks, advice or a miracle??

Thanks in advance
Marie 

• Hi Marie,

I too have gone back to studying after a long time out of education, and it can be daunting on it's own so add in family, work, other commitments a phew! But it's worth it and in the grand scheme of things just try to remember that once it's done, you can move on.

A few of tips I've been given that have really helped:

1) Look at the learning objectives of the module - they give you guidance on what they are looking for you to demonstrate in the assignment.

2) Read the assignment question before you start studying the module. This will help you pick out key points. Jot them down separately or highlight in a different colour so they are easy to find and expand on later.

3) Find a way of working that works for YOU. Everybody is different and it takes a bit of practice to figure out your own learning style. Take on tips and tricks from others but adapt them to make them comfortable and productive for you.

4) Make the most of the resources you have. As an adult learner you are also a customer. Ask your tutors for help, use their study guides and resources to guide you - it's in their interest to have happy and successful people on their courses.

5) Don't beat yourself up. These qualifications aren't meant to be easy for everyone otherwise they wouldn't have as much value as they do. You're doing awesome, just keep going :-).

Wishing you all the best.
  • I am in exactly the same boat as you, I am finding the content is ok as I work in Manufacturing Training and have done for the last 5 years, I find I am unsure of how to put the assignments together, my work life is very busy and finding the time to study and complete the assignments is very difficult and affecting my home life, (I am on an apprenticeship so should get 8 hours per week)
  • In reply to Lisa:

Hi Lisa
    I have just had my assignment referred and wondered if you can help me with points 2.4, 3.1 +3.2.
    I am loosing the will, and feel like giving up ! any help will be most welcomed.
    Kind regards
    Sami
    sgray886@googlemail.com
  • In reply to Samantha:

Hi
    I have emailed you
    Lisa
  • In reply to Lisa:

It's Harvard referencing that I am not liking. When at university, I studied Law and used the Oxford form. Harvard is completely new to me and I am finding that I get into my assessment, then I have to cite or I reference as I go along and I end up losing my train of thought in terms of the assessment.
  • In reply to Amo:

You know you can get Microsoft Word to do it all for you? This is what I do and it is really easy