Questions about being mentored

Hi everyone! I recently reached out to a senior colleague in a fit of bravery and asked if they would be willing to mentor me. They very kindly agreed to commit to some calls and I'm keen to make sure I make the most of this opportunity (and to make sure I don't waste their time!). 

Most of the information out there regarding mentoring is about how to be a mentor, not what a good 'mentoree' looks like. So my question is to those who have mentored others in that past. Aside from the obvious, preparing topics to talk about and questions to ask, what makes for a good mentoring session? Any hints, tips or tricks for making sure both myself and my mentor get the most out of the arrangement? 

• Hi Claire,
    I look to my mentees to come to the first session well prepared - as you say. After that I agree an Action Plan at the end of each session. This gives ongoing structure and review and new topics/issues can be introduced. Such actions should be specific rather than vague. I hope this helps!
  • Hi Claire I agree with Michael. make sure you prepare for your time together and have an idea of what you want to focus on. . For me I ask for commitment for the people I coach or mentor. That looks like showing up on time, it means not cancelling time together when it’s agreed and giving the time a priority. If you pop me an email I have a coaching preparation form I send to people I coach and mentor. Happy to send you a copy if it helps. I am not sure how to do it in the forum hello@denisechilton.co.uk is my email
  • Hi Claire if you search member to member mentoring within the community pages you should find the CIPD resources on mentorin including mentee tips. if no joy, connect with me on Linkedin and I'll send you our branch scheme mentee handbook
  • Thanks you for the tips everyone, you’ve been extremely helpful. Much appreciated!