Transitioning from Military HR to Civilian - which course should I complete??

Good Morning,

I am close to the end of my military career and I have been an administrator for the duration of my 22 year career, although for a spell we were know as HR Administrators my understanding is that HR in the real world is very different.  I am looking at completing the CIPD Level 5 HR Management qualification but am unsure of what the best course for me will be.  I have looked at a number of options and I think my preffered option is a part time taught course which conisists of 8 x 2 day workshops over a 14 month period (with Chysos). However, my dilema is that I will have left the army (only by a month or so) before I qualify using this option (I can't start the course until Jan as I am currently overseas).  How difficult (clearly this is dependent on how quickly I absorb the information) would it be for me to complete the qualification through ICS and doing it online? 

All advice would be greatly appreciated as this is a huge step for the next chapter of my life.

Thanks

Steve  

• Personally I would do the course that best suits your learning style. I don’t think qualifying a month after you leave the service is the crucial factor as I don’t think L5 is necessarily the key to getting your first job in HR.

I also think you are likely to benefit from the networking and interaction with people from outside the service on the taught course.
  • I guess it sort of depends on how much HR knowledge you have gain through your 22 years in the Army. You could consider looking at a experience assessment, this is a much quicker route but ultimately assumes you already have the prerequisite knowledge required. If you arrange a conversation the CIPD will talk you through whether experience assessment is suitable for you.
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks, I had considered my learning style which I believe will be better suited to workshops as opposed to online my main concern was the qualification date, however as you have stated that the L5 qualification isn't necessarily the key to getting my first job in HR, then I think that will be the key influencer to my decision, could you elaborate further as to why? Thanks again. Steve
  • In reply to Alun:

Thanks, the issue I have is that HR in the Military doesn't cover many of the areas in CIPD, with the key area being Employment Law and Business Issues and the Context of HR. As I mentioned in the original post I believe the 2 are quite different, however I am open to all ideas. Thanks again. Steve
  • Steve, I assume you were AGC(SPS) and with a 22-year career that you were, therefore, a Warrant Officer of some stripe.

The short answer to your question, therefore, is "not very difficult" for someone with your experience and ability. The follow-up question, however, is how useful the qualification will be to your future career prospects. And that answer is, at the moment, "not very useful" - although it will become more useful quite quickly.

The problem for Service leavers is - as you rightly identify - that the Armed Forces does things in a rather different style and environment (literal and metaphorical) to civilian workplaces for the most part. The kind of employer where your skills and experience will most likely be recognized and valued will be one where your military qualifications are more relevant than your civilian ones, so if you have CIPD Lvl 5 it will be helpful but not job-clinching. In due course, though, having the qualification will gradually become more relevant.

Alternatively, you may find yourself in a different sort of job, where your military background isn't relevant or appreciated. In which case it will be a junior role quite disproportionate to your ability and your Level 5 will be largely irrelevant. However, once you begin to be recognized you'll quickly move up the ladder and it will, again, become important that you are qualified at that level.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks Robey, yes I'm a WO2 and will have been for 4 years when I leave next December. I read one of your other posts on another thread and was interested in what you said which you have reiterated here. I have a couple of other qualifications Level 7 in Leadership and Managment and a Level 5 in Business Management, I understand that I'm unlikely to use the qualification immediately and it may take some time to get back to an equivalent level, I just need a greater insight into HR in the real world and I think L5 is the best level for me to start at, given my experience. Thanks again. Steve
  • In reply to Steven:

Hi Steven, I would look at what the Civil Service has to offer.

There is a strong appreciation of what miliary experience can offer and lots of opportunities. As a WO2 and with your leadership and business management qualifications, there are undoubtedly Civil Service HR opportunities you would be qualified for - you don't always need CIPD qualifications for more general leadership and management roles.

There are also schemes to support military leavers. E.g. HMRC has the RISE programme (Resettlement internships supporting employment), which has specific training to focus on adjusting your professional experience to civilian settings.

I would agree with the others that CIPD Level 5 is unlikely to help your job prospects although it may help your confidence with civilian employment law, which is undoubtedly different to management by JSP! You might find a short course on employment law (maybe even Level 7) would be more appropriate though?
  • In reply to Steven:

You might be able to pick up some individual courses to broaden your knowledge rather than doing everything. Ultimately people are much the same in all walks of life it's just how you effect a behavioral change that differs. An epic TAB immediately after a CFT has a way of focusing the mind however in a real world it take a little more finesse and time. Good luck
  • In reply to Lesley:

Thanks Lesley, I have considered the Civil Service, however from experience it's not that often that the jobs go to stage 4, also there isn't a great deal of civil service jobs in my area (Middlesbrough), I'll be completing CTW in January so that should give me a greater insight into what's possible and what's not and will give me a greater indication as to what is available for ex military. Lots to think about between now and January and what to do, the key thing is the majority of the cost of any course I do complete will be minimal as my ELC will cover it. Thanks again. Steve
  • In reply to Steven:

Your challenge (IMO) will be getting an organisation or manager to give yo a chance in a HR role. For everyone who will there will be 3/4 not willing to take the "risk" at the last stage. Many will see the cultural differences and organisation structures too different for a career in HR. Not saying its fair or right just thats how I think it probably is.

So do the course by all means but spend your last year networking locally as much as you can. Attending CIPD branch events, employment law seminars etc etc and network!
  • I've just finished reading all the responses and - as usual - the advice is excellent. However, I must disagree with all those who have cast doubt on the usefulness of a CIPD Level 5 in obtaining a first job in HR. The qualification confirms that the individual has shown commitment to a career in HR and has worked to obtain a solid, relevant knowledge base on which to begin (or continue) that career. In your case, Steven, I believe this will be invaluable in your transition from military into civvy street.
    From a short list of two candidates, I would choose Steven Assoc CIPD, over a non-qualified candidate every time!
    Good luck with your ongoing career!
  • In reply to Steven:

Steven, you should be aware that the CS recruitment has changed and the default will be stage 4 for all jobs
  • In reply to Lesley Currie:

Thanks Lesley, it's been a couple of years since I worked with the CS so will bear that in mind.
  • In reply to Sue Eakin:

Thanks Lesley, I really appreciate your comment, especially as some of the comments did make me wonder whether this would be the right course for me and indeed if a career in HR would be for me. Although Military HR is very different, I am very much a people person and despite the Military being a big part of my life for the last 21 years, I'd like to think I can easily adapt to the real world, people are people, treat them well and that is half the battle. Thanks again. Steve
  • In reply to Steven:

Yes, my namesake is right in that Stage 4 recruitment is very common now in the Civil Service (although it is not yet for all jobs in all departments - some departments still have internal vacancies).

Your location of Middlesbrough is more challenging - not a huge number of departments in that area, but definitely some not too far away (York, Washington, Newcastle, Darlington all have a sizable Civil Service population) and with flexible working being very common in the Civil Service, you may find a longer commute is okay if you are only doing it a few days a week.