What does 'part CIPD qualified' mean?

I have seen on a lot of job roles that they are looking for someone who is at least part CIPD qualified. I am going to have to fund it myself as I can't get my current employer to. What do they mean by part CIPD qualified? Does it mean that they want someone who is currently studying or someone who has a certificate in CIPD?

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Jun, 2018 11:54

I think your guess (in your last sentence) is as good as mine.
  • My understanding is that fully qualified is equivalent to Chartered CIPD membership. As to part qualified, I've always wondered myself! Maybe any CIPD qualification/membership under that level?
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Jun, 2018 16:34

Hi Jennifer... this intrigued me so I checked with colleagues.

Essentially, 'part qualified' is quite an outdated term.

Year ago we used to offer only two levels of qualification - a Level 3 (Certificate in Personnel/Training Practice) and Level 7 (Professional Development Scheme).

Typically, if you had completed the former, you would be 'part-qualified' and an Associate member. The latter - the Level 7 - meant you were 'fully qualified'.

Because our quals and membership structures have changed vastly since then, these are terms we don't really use.

Different employers and recruiters will have their own requirements for levels of qualification. As we now offer Levels 3, 5 & 7 (and also an Experience Assessment route into membership), there is more to it.

Best thing for anyone in this position may be to query the recruiting organisation's definition... and find out exactly what they are looking for. For example, are they looking for a candidate to have a particular level of membership or qualification as a minimum for the role?

Hope this helps?

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Sorry Steve, no cigar on this occassion! Part qualified harks back to Professional Qualification Scheme which in IPD days was Level 6. Part qualified simply meant that you had past the first year (Four exams and four assignments), for this you were awarded Licentiate membership (aka Part qualified) by completing a further two years (three exams and assignments in year two, and two exams and assignments in year 3 plus a management report, you were awarded Graduate membership (aka fully qualified) , if you could show that you had so many years HR management experince then you were upgraded to MIPD. THE PQS became the Professional Development Scheme, pretty much not a changed alot apart from the PDS was elevated to Level 7. Although the PDS like PQS before it wasn't about gaining a qualification but was more a route into a particular membership grade. Eventually it was decided to award those who have completed the PDS a post graduate diploma. The Licentiate grade was scrapped in 2010 with the CIPD saying that no one knew what it really meant, despite the job boards being awash with jobs for "Part qualified". Graduate membership disappeared in 2014 I think? Personally I think that was mistake. The current Level 7 bears no relation to what it replaced, Steve have look in the CIPD archives for exam reports from the late Dr Ted Johns (Chief Examiner Resourcing) for a clue as how tough CIPD national exams were!

By the way back in the day it was CPP then PQS, then CPP then PDS. Part qualified never meant Associate! Another thing, I was always surprised how many longstanding HR assistants I met back in the late 90's who were Graduate members!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Jun, 2018 09:38

In reply to Paul:

I checked with colleagues. I will check again.

Hi Steve It wasn't so many years ago - you make me feel old and out of touch that I had the choice of "only" 2 levels and went straight into Level 7! And have the qualifications changed "vastly"? I know the CIPD has introduced a level 5 (if I'm being facetious I would suggest for increased revenue as much as anything:-)), however my professional development scheme (as was) I don't imagine was dramatically different to today's level 7 qualification.
  • I guess at the end of the day the simple answer is that most people would say qualified is Chartered Member status / level 7 etc.

Part qualified is a nebulous term that means exactly what the recruitment manager wants it to. Simples.....

Back in the nineties when I gained a Certificate in Personnel Practice, I think (if memory serves me right) that it led to Associate membership. But you weren't considered part-qualified.

I then went on to do the professional IPD/CIPD qualification - mine was a two-year postgrad diploma. This was divided into Stage I (first year) and Stage II (second year). As Paul has explained, you weren't considered "part-qualified" until you had successfully completed Stage I and become a Licentiate member. Completing Stage II led to Graduate membership and then you were "fully qualified".

When CIPD did away with graduate membership, I went back to being an Associate. But they have confirmed to me that CPP is the equivalent of Level 3, and the full postgrad diploma (i.e. Stage II) equates to Level 7.

Anyway, all history now. I'm surprised to hear that the term "part-qualified" is still being used, but perhaps it's been sitting unchallenged in ads and person specifications that were first written many years ago.

• In reply to Angie:

Yes I did my CPP and it was Associate membership at the time. Whilst I understood that qualified or part qualified meant PQS/PDS/Level 7, it always confused me a bit as isn't CPP(now Level 3) still a qualification ?!
    I think I have still heard it mentioned, but does sound quite out of touch with everything as it is now.
    Within the Council I work for Fully qualified was updated to CIPD Chartered membership.
  • In reply to Paul:

I found this thread when looking for a response to my question: 'Is my PQS still worth anything?' I ask as recently I was invited to study for a Level 7, which I found insulting! Hadn't I been through the mill already with a much harder qualification? I am a Chartered Fellow of over 10 years standing.
  • In reply to Les:

Unfortunately, it won't get you any exemptions from anything (CIPD courses) now, As well as my old Licentiate membership certificate I have a letter from the CIPD to confirm what I did and that I was at Level 7 but it does state that I can't claim any exemptions from the current Advanced Diploma.
  • In reply to Keith:

Actually, Professional Membership is Assoc.CIPD, MCIPD, FCIPD. Your linking of a membership grade and a qualification level is out of date now, 9 years out of date!
  • In reply to Paul:

Not at all - I said (over a year ago now :-) ) what I thought most people would say and I stand by that. It may or may not be correct but it is what I think many/most peoples views are.

The fact that its linking two different things shows the confusion many members (and recruiters) have.
  • Hi

Well every day is a school day!!!

Being new to this HR studying malarkey and being in an office management role (albeit with general HR duties), I thought 'part qualified' meant part way through studying for Level 3, 5 or 7. I have seen it on many job adverts recently when I was looking for a new job.

Thanks guys

Lisa