Lack of support in HR to progress

I am 36 years old Asian woman and I completed my masters in Human Resources in 2011 and have worked in HR ever since. However, I have not been lucky enough to secure a role where I can develop or be supported enough from a Manager who will effectively ‘take me under their wings’ and progress.

The level of roles I have secured previously are at administration level and I really want to secure a HR Advisor role where I am supported by a Manager. I keep getting told as I have the education I should be aiming for higher roles such as HR Business Partner etc. However, when applying for such roles I get rejected due to lack of experience. Then it is full circle I have to then apply for HR Administration roles, my previous roles have either been contract or I have been made redundant.

I am looking for roles within the Telford region as this is where I recently moved and to ensure I have the work life balance I need. My current role comes to an end on September (Fixed term contract). Every place I have worked implement different ways of working and different HR Systems. 

• Hi Pardeep,

Does your local CIPD branch offer a mentoring service? I've found mine really helpful and would recommend giving it a go.
  • In reply to Carlie:

Hi Carlie,

I will have a look and give it ago.

Thanks
  • Bear in mind that management are ultimately there to act in the interests of the wider organisation. They are not necessarily your friend or concerned with your own ambitions.

In both the county of Shropshire and the UK as a whole, there are only x amount of permanent HR roles available in the economy at any given moment in time. Thus, although you are currently based in Telford, you may need to also view it as a commuter town to another town or city in the West Midlands, or neighbouring region if you cannot find or get a suitable role there.

Ultimately, it's easier to get into the public sector (i.e. a service) or a local authority than a private company, as they are more willing to train people and not so concerned about age also. The largest employer in both the UK and Europe is the NHS, so maybe start your search there in an X amount radius of your postcode. Also consider local borough and county councils, schools and police forces.

Finally however, bear in mind that in order to promote you, there must be an actual vacancy available, and that only happens when someone moves on, across, out or up. Even with the best Manager in the world, if there are no vacancies or openings, it's not going to happen, unless they are willing to enlarge the salary budget and create a new role for yourself.