HR Manager Interview

Hi there, I'm looking some advice please on the type of questions that may come up for a HR Manager position in the Public Sector. There is also an Unseen presentation??

Thanks in advance, Conor

• Tell us about a time you successfully managed change?

Where have you positively dealt with Trade Unions and what was the outcome?

What has been the most challenging disciplinary case you have dealt with?

Tell us about a time you helped transform the culture of your business ? What did you do and what was the result?

When did you persuade a manager to follow your advice? Tell us about the outcome?

What has been the most challenging situation you have faced at work?

Etc. Etc. Expect a panel. Expect multiple interviews. Expect them to follow closely to a script and plan.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith, many thanks for this - very helpful! Have you any experience of unseen presentations beforehand and what these COULD consist of?
  • Morning Conor
    It is difficult to say with a presentation, but it maybe something like asking you what you would do in the first three - six months of the role, what you think the challenges maybe, they might give you a scenario to respond to and just want to get your thoughts on it.
  • In reply to Fiona Mary Palmer:

Morning Fiona thanks so much for coming back. I did think it would be a task around the first 3-6 months. I had thought priorities would be meet my manager / senior leadership team, gain an understanding of short, medium long term goals. Visibility as a HR manager - meet and great key stakeholders. Look at immediate Resourcing Activity and Staffing issues. Familiarise myself with systems, processes, policies. External considerations then GDPR, Brexit etc? Anything else please feel free to share :-) thank you again for taking the time to come back.
  • In reply to Conor:

An unseen presentation is an odd thing to ask. It’s either testing your presentation skills in which case they will give you details and after a short while you present their materials. Or it will give you a topic ( day reducing sickness absence) and you get 30 minutes or so to prepare something.

Either way there’s not much you can do in advance but just be flexible and try to be calm.
  • In reply to Conor:

Sounds to me like you've got it covered. Good luck :)
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks so much for your help and support Keith
  • In reply to Fiona Mary Palmer:

Thanks for all your help and support Fiona
  • It may vary somewhat as a HR manager rather than an Advisor role, but as Keith said it can often be that you are given a situation/case to present and advise as to how you would manage it.
  • It may vary somewhat as a HR manager rather than an Advisor role, but as Keith said it can often be that you are given a situation/case to present and advise as to how you would manage it.