What should I study next????

Hi Everyone!

I am looking to expand my knowledge, and I am not sure what to opt for, so thought I would ask in here!

I have been working in HR since 2006, and completed my CPP and then the CIPD PDS in 2010 - the qualification was on the cusp of chaning when I finished and I was awarded a PGDIp in HR.  Since then I have held various HR Management and BP roles and now 2.5 years into a new position I am rather feeling like I am stagnating, CPD sessions alone arent cutting it and I need to start doing some more study in order to develop my career.   

I have asked the CIPD for advice but keep hitting a brick wall there - I don't think I want to do the masters level course, but I do want to do something either in Strategic HR or Employment Law, potentially in both.  There is a possibility that I might want to move into law in the future, so that is definitely of interest to me long term. 

SO, does anyone have any recommendations on study from home courses that I could do?  I have 2 small children, and work 3 days a week, so it has to be something that I can do remotely and flexibly around a busy life!

Recommendations gratefully received! 

TIA! Zoe

• Hi Zoe

You have a lot going on in your life, so maybe the best development for you would be the subject that most grips you and would be least likely to feel a burden. Either of the subject areas you are thinking about would have the potential to enhance your career, depending on which direction you want it to develop. I don’t know enough about legal careers to know whether an employment law diploma would help you bridge into that area or would simply help you develop your HR career along ER lines.
  • I can relate to a lot of this! I did my HR qualifications in my early twenties, and then did my Graduate Diploma in Law in my early thirties - with two small children at home and a 4 day a week job. At the end of all that, I decided not to go on with my Legal Practice Course to qualify as a solicitor - on balance, I realised that I didn't want to start again with a new career, and that a huge amount of what I'd learned on the GDL was relevant to my HR profession.

Mid-forties now, I'm looking at doing a masters in employment law, because I remain fascinated by the way that our working practice is shaped by legislation and case law. After my experiences on the GDL, I'm determined that whatever I study next, I want to do a course assessed by coursework rather than examination (there was a LOT of rote/formula learning for the GDL which isn't what I'm after now).

I don't know if you could go straight to a PGDip in Employment Law at this stage? I guess it would depend on what you've studied previously.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do - it's not easy to balance it all, but can be really worth it.