Upgrade from Associate to Chartered Member

Hi everyone

I completed my level 7 diploma in HRM in 2016, and feel I have been working at Chartered level for some time. Could anyone offer some advice on what is expected from the CV? I ask because I submitted my CV for screening, which included projects I'd led, relevant roles, achievements etc and the response I got was:

It is difficult to suggest if your experience is going to be sufficient to upgrade. If you could update your details to more accurately reflect your key areas of responsibility and accountability in your recent role together with visible timelines ensuring that the last three years are documented, it would be very helpful. 

Should I have put dates next to my projects and stated 'responsible and accountable' next to those relevant bits?

I will give the helpline a call, just wondering beforehand if anyone has had this.

Thanks, Tracey

• First, contact your local branch if you haven't already. Many branches have membership advisors - volunteers who provide their expertise for free to assess and advise on your application for membership upgrading.

Second, without seeing your CV it's hard to advise in detail. But like any job application, you should examine the person specification carefully and make sure that your CV reflects what the PerSpec is looking for. IIRC, Chartered Member requires applicants to show a leadership role in the development, implementation and assessment of specific HR projects. This can be tricky for those of us working in relatively unstructured environments when particular activities aren't necessarily identified as a "project", but you have to extract what you can and put the right spin on it, like any application. Make sure you find something where you can evidence leadership in a project that needed development and implementation, and which you hung around for long enough to make an assessment of its impact.

I was rejected on my first Chartership application on the last point - I could show leadership, development and implementation, but the assessor found that I had not spent long enough in the role to show an effective assessment of impact.

Practically speaking, an application for Chartered Membership can be one of those things that you plan for at least 12-18 months ahead of your application, to make sure that you are spotting the key points needed to evidence your experience at the right level.
  • Hi Trace - if you visit the main CIPD website and select Membership>upgrade your membership>upgrade to Chartered Member>form based assessment. This was free during your first year but now time has lapsed the fee is £60.
    From the site:
    •No deadlines - work at your own pace
    •Receive your result in 6 – 8 weeks

Recently completed an Advanced Diploma in Human Resource Management or Development? Your first upgrade using form-based assessment to Chartered Member is FREE, if done within a year of receiving your Associate certificate.

How to apply
    1.Read the candidate guidance notes for form-based assessment (below).
    2.Read and agree to the terms and conditions of the upgrading form-based assessment.
    3.Request feedback: Ask two colleagues to support your application by giving examples of your recent work and the impact it’s had on the business, to show how you operate at Chartered Member level. ◦Line manager or recent client
    ◦Colleague

4.Return all forms with a copy of your current CV to memupgrading@cipd.co.uk. Please note that we don't accept postal applications or handwritten applications.
    5.Pay: Our Customer Services team will contact you for payment.
    6.Receive the outcome: Afterwards you'll receive notification of the outcome within six - eight weeks. If successful, we'll send you your new Chartered Member card and certificate.

Let us know if you need any support at all or speak to your local branch.

Hope that helps
    Jill Kay
    Membership Co-coordinator South Yorkshire Branch
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Aug, 2018 10:54

Hi Tracey,

Some practical advice above.

You may have already looked at this page on the CIPD website... but for the benefit of others...

Upgrading to Chartered Member

You can also search through previous relevant threads.

• Hi all,

I have just scheduled my telephone assessment for a couple of weeks time to upgrade to Chartered membership. Does anyone have any tips for the interview?

Thanks,

Kate

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

24 Aug, 2018 15:39

In reply to Kate:

Hi Kate... I have 'merged' your thread to this existing one as it makes sense not to have too many at the same time covering similar ground.
  • In reply to Kate:

Hi Kate
    I have my telephone assessment next week. How did yours go, any tips?