Does this person really want to work in HR?

This is a post that I have shared on the CIPD member LinkedIn group. If you are currently searching for a job or trying to break into HR then read and learn.

Recently I shared a story on twitter about the applicant who applied for a job working at a hotel in the Yorkshire Dales, I had to do an initial telephone screen for these roles and in this instance, the applicant was from London, I asked him why did he want to relocate to Malham from London, he replied that he had no intention of relocating and then asked "where's the nearest tube station?" I kid you not that in 22 years of being in HR this has happened a number of times in various locations across the UK.

Ok so some may forgive people in Greater London for not realising that there is life beyond Metroland, but it ties in with something else I am noticing more and more these days. Candidates are not bothering to read the adverts let alone job description or the emails from HR! Recently I advertised in the volunteering section of People Management Jobs Online for a voluntary HR position for a charity in Guildford. One person applied from Birmingham oblivious to where Guildford was! Several didn't understand the job was voluntary despite the advert being in the volunteer section, stating it was voluntary in the description and my emails which said "thank you for applying for our voluntary role as"

After the closing date, I followed up with emails seeing how people found the process and why they didn’t go further with the application process. One person replied, “Sorry not enough hours”! Really? What this says to me is that the candidate had poor attention to detail, and they weren’t alone. The scary thing is these people are applying for full-time jobs, maybe they are in your applicant stream right now? To quote the late Dr Ted Johns (former CIPD Chief Examiner  - Resourcing) “Does this person really want a career in HR?”

• I think it has got too easy to apply with one click. People do it without thought.
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

I agree, candidates do not read the job posting properly, or don't think about the distance from where they're based to where the job would be.

Admittedly it also doesn't help matters when agencies advertise jobs but put the location as being where their offices are based rather than where the actual job will be.

When I was applying for jobs I found this to be a regular occurrence - I would click on a job that seemed to be in an area I was able to commute to only to then find out it was actually several miles outside outside of where they said it was. This was even more frustrating when I would only find out about it after applying and speaking to the agency because they hadn't clarified the location in the job description.

There needs to be more consideration on both sides, candidates need to make sure they are actually reading what they're applying for (and figure out the geography - wheres the nearest tube to the Yorkshire dales? Oh dear ) but also, those recruiting need to make sure all the correct information is given to allow candidates to make an informed decision (hopefully) about whether to apply or not.