Advice on next steps...

Good morning everyone,

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. 

I have worked as a HR Manager in the call centre industry for 6 years, in this time I completed my level 7 qualification (2018). The issues I need advise on, as I am really unsure where to go from here and I am a cross roads. I took the job as an office manager, i had very little HR experience, but was offered the opportunity to have my training funded, and took it. As I began to settle into the company, and get into my training, it was very apparent, the company were not the finished articles, staff were treated as irreplaceable, no contracts in place, conditions were not great, I desperately wanted to move on, but felt trapped as i had little experience and the company were funding my training, and giving my paid time off work. I did 2/3 of my qualification by 2015,but i had my first baby and due to this had to put off completing on hold, the plan was to complete and leave, as i knew to progress i could not stay there, as it was apparent the directors did not want to work with me to improve the company, they just wanted to make money and i was a resource to avoid tribunals etc. Due to the way they ran the company i gained a lot of experience in employee relations, disciplinary, grievances, contractual, legal, engagement initiatives etc. when i returned after maternity i wanted to move on, but as i wanted to complete my qualification, and he gave me a lot of paid time off to do this, and let me work flexibly around my very young son, i stayed, i then had my second child last year. I was due to return in December, and my plan had been to move on to a new job and resign. However my daughter has been very unwell with her health, so i decided to resign and not seek a new role at that time. i am now at a point where I would like to move forward with my career.I feel working in this environment has given a wealth of experience, however being a stand alone hr manager, i've never had a mentor, i lack confidence in my abilities moving into a team, i lack a lot of experience to being stand alone, and really being self taught along side the cipd qualification, and feel the gap from my maternity, and lack of experience and knowledge with GDPR due to my maternity leave, has left me feeling where do i go from here?? Do i look at trying to find an advisory role, or alternatively volunteer work? i really am feeling quite lost. 

Any advise would be much appreciated. 

Cher

• Hi Cher

It sounds to me like you've achieved a lot and gained some great experience in your six years - doing all that alongside being a mum of two young children is brilliant. It sounds to me like what you need is a bit of self confidence! ;-) I think you've demonstrated the ability to learn on the job, so I think you could fill in any knowledge gaps in a new role by learning on the job rather than taking a step backwards.

I wouldn't get too hung up on job titles - if you see a HR Advisor or Business Partner role that offers you something new experience wise and a salary you like, then go for it. Equally if you see a HR Manager role that offers you what you want, then go for it. Don't downplay your abilities or experience - you're capable of being a HR Manager as you are one already - in a difficult environment. In the short term, if you have time and energy to take on a voluntary role, why not? They can be really good for broadening your expertise.

Have you engaged with your local branch? You can meet other HR professionals there who you can share ideas with and learn from. And you can always call on everyone here in the Communities for support.

Good luck with your job hunt - the right job will definitely be out there for you!

Jackie
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

5 Mar, 2019 14:05

In reply to Jacqueline:

Thank you, Jacqueline :)
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Hi Jackie,
    thank you so much for your reply. I think you are right, i definitely lack self confidence, and I thought that might be something raised, as having a year off I am definitely feeling rusty!
    I just need to find a role which can work to some extent around my home life, it seems most jobs i see are full time, id love 3 or 4 days a week, full time with a baby is something id prefer not to do.

I haven't engaged with my local branch but i will definitely look into doing that.

thanks
    cher