Business and Management Degree vs CIPD level 5

Hi Everyone!

I hope there is someone who could advise me about something very important to me.

I am in front of a choice that I have to make between a degree and CIPD level 3, a journey that I want to start.

First of all, I am working full time now and I am not sure if I would be able to sustain myself only with 8k a year with a loan and a Business and Management Degree would not be possible for me in terms of time and expenses.

Even if I somehow managed to choose to go to University part-time, I would still need to do 1-year full-time foundation year as I am an International student and that means giving up my job ( Which I do really enjoy and unlikely will find a second similar apart from the fact that I need to maintain myself)

My question now is, instead of going to University and spend 4 years studying and accumulating debt at the same time, would it be possible for me to just complete CIPD course up to level 5 in 2 years time and possibly start a career as HR Business Manager, even without a degree? How does it look like from an employer's point of view? 
I am aware that they might prefer someone with a degree but do I have a chance to get a job just with CIPD Level 5 in HR sector?

As I read online CIPD course level 5 is equivalent of the undergraduate level at university.

The reason why I am asking is that CIPD course offers me simply a better solution for a long term career and I can study at home instead whereas if I wish to go to University I would need to attend lectures, give up my current job and also create a debt, which don't get me wrong. I understand it is an investment, but I am not sure if that is the best road I can choose.

I hope someone will kindly express their opinion and possibly experience in this matter.

Kind Regards!

• This forum is dead.
  • In reply to Daniel:

Hi Daniel

Sadly for some reason your initial post didn’t appear until you replied. I assume because it was held in moderation for some reason.

That probably explains partly your lack of replies alongside the fact that sadly this question or variations of it get asked a lot as people try to break into HR. If you can use the search facilities you will find lots of similar threads with advice such as this one

www.cipd.co.uk/.../267866

Specifically I would say a degree is desirable but not entirely essential. It may well play a part as a tie breaker between two equally qualified candidates or get you on a short list but it’s possible to get on without one.

Your key challenge will be getting quality HR experience. Given the situation you describe I would be focusing on getting experience alongside the CIPD qualification as giving you the best chance of a route into HR.

You will also need to show far more patience :-)

Good luck !

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

23 Feb, 2019 17:21

In reply to Keith:

Thanks, Keith.