Careers Fair

Hi all

Happy Friday!

I volunteered some months back to help out at my son's school's Careers Fair.  I must have been having a "feeling confident" day at the time.  They have now sent me confirmation.

I'm tempted to bail out and cancel, but I want to fight against that urge.  Have any of you ever done this?  If so what should I take with me, I can't just have an empty table!  Do you think the CIPD would be able to help??  I'm happy to chat about what I do and how best to get there, but I need some visuals.

I'd be grateful for any tips.

TIA

Hazel 

• Hi Hazel, I do these all the time! What year group is the fair aimed at? I'd recommend at the very least having a sign that says who you are and what you do, and I always find that having something to get a conversation started helps. I do them to promote our apprenticeship scheme, and we're a manufacturing company so I take a couple of examples of the things we make, specially made so that you can see inside so I can start the conversation with 'bet you didn't know this is what they look like inside!'
    It can be hard work, but there's quite often at least one or two that you can have a more in depth conversation with and feel like you've helped them, which makes it worth it for me :)
  • I did one of these years ago. At the time the CIPD sent me loads of information and even a banner or two. It was great fun and really very easy - you know far more than the kids do.

I would phone the CIPD (in case they aren't looking at these boards) and see if they can send you some literature etc
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Julie and Keith
    Yes, I'll give the CIPD a call, they're bound to have some stuff! I'll get a banner made as well!
    It's for year 11 and sixth form.
  • Also contact your local branch. They, too, will often have banners as well as supplies of things like pens and lanyards as "gizzits" to attract attention - they may even be able to offer another local practitioner to help you so you don't look so lonely, have someone to talk to and can nip off to the conveniences if needed!
  • In reply to Robey:

Hi again!

I'm struggling to get hold of anyone at my local branch. I've been advised to email, but no one has replied, or referred me to the relevant people. To be honest, I feel like I'm bashing my head against the wall! When I call in, I'm just told to email, rather than being able to speak to somebody direct.

Any tips on how I break this barrier?

Many thanks

Hazel
  • In reply to Hazel:

Ignore that! I just received a really helpful email!