Starting at level 3 CIPD- worthwhile?

Hi all,

I am nearing the end of my Sociology undergraduate degree and want to begin my CIPD qualification now to maximise job opportunities within HR for when I graduate this Summer. 

In terms of HR related experience, all I have done so far is 4 months interning in a recruitment agency, mainly resourcing (interviewing etc) and admin tasks (CV and job ad writing, right to work checking etc). 

I was thinking I'd need to go in at level 3, but spoke to a rep from Avado who said I could save money and jump in at level 5. 

Will I miss out on crucial information if I skip level 3 or is it all covered again in the level 5 syllabus?

Any advice appreciated, thank you!

• Yes you will miss out on crucial information.

If you do a search you will find lots of threads on similar discussions to add colour.

It depends what you want the qualification for. If its just the badge then you will almost certainly be able to study and pass L5. But if its to give you a real grounding in HR then L3 will probably be best.

I am not convinced (but others may disagree) that doing either now in final months of your degree is the best idea.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith,
    Thanks for your reply. I am reading through some similar threads right now, lots to think about.
    As I understand it from talking to the Avado rep, the course will require around 6-8 hours study a week. I feel this will be manageable, if I treat my degree as my full time 'job' and study the CIPD at weekends and in evenings. However I'd be very keen to hear any additional input on this matter.
  • In reply to Emily:

it was less that (although that's a concern) but more the studying without the ability to use practical examples. Its the difference between an academic course like sociology and avocational one with L3. Part of the benefit comes from understanding how to apply it in a real work context and using own experience - you won't be able to do that doing this on the odd evenings!