Qualification levels/ equivalencies?

Hi all,

I am hoping someone here may be able to clarify the qualification levels and their equivalencies for me.

I am currently studying for a Level 5 HRM Certificate which I understand to be the equivalent to a foundation degree (which I believe is the first 2 years of a degree course?)

Assuming the above is correct (please correct me if its not), if I continued to study to upgrade my certificate to a Diploma would this then be the equivalent to a full Bachelors degree? or is there an alternative way to make this a full degree level qualification?

I do not have a degree at all and a number of employers ask for degree level or equivalent and so I want to understand this better so that I can apply for roles where I meet the criteria.

Following on from this, what do the Level 7 qualifications (Certificate/ Diploma) equate to?

Many Thanks in advance

Zoe

• Welcome to the communities Zoe

You may find this guide from the Government useful

So a first (non honours) degree is a level 5 but a first degree with honours is a Level 6

Generally a L7 is masters level

However some employers (rightly or wrongly) would be looking for a Degree or a Masters rather than a L5/6 or a L7. Unfair as that may well be.

• In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith, that clears some of my confusion up.

So other than the size of the qualification a Certificate and Diploma are essentially the same education level?
    Do you know if there is a way to ‘upgrade’ a level 5 certificate to a level 6 equivalent qualification? Or is the next step only to a level 7?

Thanks
    Zoe
  • I am currently doing the Level 5 Certificate. The difference between the Certificate and the diploma is the increased number of modules you complete and therefore the 'credits' you receive. I don't think it makes any difference as it is all at the same level - just more of it!
    The CIPD qualifications are only Level 5 and Level 7 (before they changed it in the last few years I believe there were more levels as I previously completed Level 4 CIPD which is no longer recognised under the current qualifications scheme)
  • In reply to Clare:

Picking up on this trail, I've just completed my level 5 dip, and looking to complete the L7, is this achieved by the addition of more modules and the 2 exams, or does the approach of completing all 8 modules shown in the training providers, required?
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

19 Dec, 2018 14:53

In reply to Clare:

Ho Zoe... and welcome to the Community.

Does this help clarify?
    www.cipd.co.uk/.../304572