CIPD Level 5 - Unsure whether to do it

Hi all,

I completed CIPD Level 3 in HR Practice 2 years ago. I've worked in HR for almost 10 years, largely in shared services environments. In my current role, I'm in a very strange position of "almost an advisor". Whilst I'm employed as an administrator, more and more of my role is becoming about supporting line managers with ER, absence management, performance and especially recruitment.

My director is trying to persuade me to do CIPD Level 5 as there may be scope in the future to make my role an advisor role. This would be fantastic and is definitely where I want to be.

However, I'm very cautious when it comes to the level 5. I was good at the level 3 as it's quite practical. I'm not very accademically minded so the thought have writing essays and reports again fills me with dread. I don't want to commit to something and then make a mess of it. I'm good at my job and I very much understand the how's and why's of what we do within the HR function, but studying and academia is not my strong point.

Can anyone offer any advice? I've no desire at all to get into HR Management or even business partnering. The strategic business side of HR doesn't interest me, my strength is very much the people side of things, so from a course content perspective I don't think I'm missing out by not doing it, but from a potential career development angle, equally I don't want it to hold me back. But I'm really torn and quite anxious about doing it.

Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

• I got into HR (or Personnel back then!) by doing the equivalent of Level 3 (CPP) nearly 20 years ago now and have until recently been in a HR Assistant/Senior HR Assistant role which was upgraded to Advisor in the last year.
    Whilst most of my colleagues at my level have gone straight to Level 7 as they have been attending classes at a local university, I chose to do a more work based mixed mode of learning and found that I just didn't have the experience/opportunity to demonstrate the learning objectives etc at this higher level. Therefore it was decided that I would start the Level 5 Certificate instead.
    Even though I did do a non HR related degree, studying the level 5 was quite different - a stretch for my learning which it should be, but still ultimately achievable. My practical knowledge of HR really added to my assignments, particularly with this method of study. From what you have said Level 7 would seem to be too strategic. So even though I had studied at this level before, I was also initially a bit anxious about assignments etc but my HR knowledge and support from my Coach/Assessor and HR colleagues including a mentor (I'm fortunate to work in a large HR team who have all studied CIPD at some level) helped me successfully pass at this level.
    Hope this helps...
  • Hi
    If your boss is saying that level 5 is a prerequisite for becoming an HR Adviser role in your present company / organisation and that's definitively where you want to be, then its probably worth trialing it - and if it really isn't for you, you could withdraw, knowing that you have given it your best shot.
    If on the other hand your boss is saying that level 5 is a "nice" rather than "need" to do for progression within your current organisation, it sounds as though the competencies that you have already amply demonstrated will carry you through to the next level ( and why put yourself through something that may not play to your strengths and may be stressful)
    Another consideration that is worth reflecting on is whether you see yourself staying with your current employer as an HR adviser or moving to another organisation. If the latter is more likely and you were in a competitive selection process, not having level 5 under your belt may put you at a disadvantage versus another candidate who in all other respects was assessed as your equal.
    Not a definitive answer or direction to follow (deliberately) but hopefully some food for thought as you think through the choices