Further study but what to do?

I'm completely confused about the options open to me now and wonder whether I could ask for some advice from this Community? 

I am 50 years of age and have been working in HR for about the last 20 years in a wide range of sectors. 

I managed to complete Level 5 a couple of years ago but found referencing my research quite a struggle to the point where I nearly gave up!

For the sake of my own personal accomplishment I really want to attempt a postgraduate course.  

I'm looking for an online course which takes no longer than 12 months to complete.  

Should I go for Level 7 Certificate, Level 7 Diploma or something else (work towards a Masters?  Or to becoming Chartered?)

• What is your motivation for wanting to do further study and what do you want to gain out of it?

Are you looking for career advancement or personal satisfaction?

The answer to above will guide your answer very much.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith - thank you for responding. My motivation is entirely personal satisfaction - first person to qualify at that level in my family, feel a bit underqualified (with a GCSE in Pottery!), want to prove to myself that I can do it...blah blah blah.
  • In reply to Sam:

Sam

Great reasons

My thought then would be do you have to do a HR course? Its unlikely (though not impossible) that it will have a major impact on your career given your already great experience and level 5 qualification. Why limit yourself to HR when there are lots of subjects out there (one day I will do a History Masters just because I want to!)

So I would cast the net very wide and do something that truly excites and interests you

Keith
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith - this is definitely food for thought - I hadn't really thought beyond the HR course really but now I'm wondering whether my true motivation is to qualify at the highest level in HR that I think I can manage (within the parameters that I've mentioned above). Maybe a good place to start is to have a chat with the CIPD and see what their advice is.
  • In reply to Sam:

Hi Sam
    I've nearly finished my Level 7 and it has had a huge impact on my work/life balance but I am also a bit of a wuss! I would say a Level 5 and your extensive years of experience would be enough for career development but if you do want it for personal achievement, you can do it!
  • In reply to Ella:

Hi Ella, thank you for responding - I guess that's what I'm worried about too (hence why I know I couldn't manage more than 12 months). How did you find Level 7? I think I'm right in saying that it's degree level but presumably only if you manage to achieve the Diploma as well as the Certificate?
  • In reply to Sam:

Hi Sam,

Having only completed the CPP at the beginning of my HR Career I decided to do the Level 7 Certificate in Employment Law a couple of years ago. I attended all the workshops over a 12 month period then just had the one assignment to complete in order to gain the certificate. I felt like I could give that assignment more time and attention than I would've been able to give the multiple projects on the Diploma course and I really enjoyed it.

I did it purely for personal satisfaction and to increase my knowledge, however, it also helped me negotiate a cheeky pay rise after completion :)

Good luck!
  • In reply to Holly Berry:

Hi Holly - this is really useful thank you as Employment Law is one of my real interests - do you need to have a wonderful memory of case law to undertake the Level 7 Certificate in Employment Law?