Intermediate Human Resource Managment Course

Hi all, 

I would like to enrol in the Intermediate Human Resource Managment Course (Level 5). 

Which provider would you suggest between Watson Martin and Acacia Learning?

The reason why I've picked just this 2 is that they are the only who offer workshop/classroom as a method of study around London.

Let me know if have any other suggestion.

Look forward to hearing from all of you soon.

Many thanks.

Vera

• Hi Vera,

I don't know the two you've mentioned, but I've just signed up with Avado for the Level 5 Certificate. So far it seems very good, very professional. The people on the phone have been absolutely fantastic, stuff has arrived when it should do, and the online portal is easy to use. But I must admit it's only wk1...

Is there a reason for wanting a land-based college rather than a virtual college? You are then tied to having to go to them for your learning; with an online one you can do it whenever and wherever you want. I've done many Open University modules, as well as OpenLearn and FutureLearn MOOC's and would thoroughly recommend this method of learning.
  • In reply to Teresa:

Hi Teresa, thank you! You almost convinced me to do an online course. Are the live classes easy, in terms of chatting and be interactive with the tutor?
  • In reply to Vera:

Hi Vera,

I've only just started the HR one, still in Week 1, but so far it looks good. Some bits are a little more difficult to navigate, but it's just understanding how things are done, just like if you went to a land-based class where you'd have problems finding the right room to start with. There's online webinar tutorials periodically, discussion forums, and of course because it's on line there's loads of links to illustrate what's under discussion. And you're meeting with people from all-over; in my 'class' there's a woman in Aberdeen, about as far away from me on the South coast as it possible to get, and a man in Australia. But the downside is you don't have the physical meetings, perhaps going for a coffee after class to talk about it.

Having done so many other similar courses, I would pass on this one essential tip. Make yourself do 10mins work every single day - no excuses. At the end of the 10mins you can give up with a clear conscience if you want, but most of the time you'll find you've got into it and want to carry on. If you don't do this it's so easy to say 'I'll do extra tomorrow...' then before you know it you're a week behind and then it's incredibly difficult to catch up. Also, if you know you're going to be away or need a day off at some point in the future make sure you do extra work beforehand so you're ahead of yourself. Going off to Costa Del Wotsit for two weeks then trying to catch up when you get back is impossibly hard to do.

There are many providers out there. In terms of price the ones I looked at were all much of a muchness, I chose Avado purely because they're working in conjunction with the CIPD.

Good luck!

• Hi Vera

I have to agree with Teresa - I am currently studying for the Level 5 Diploma, and I too am doing this 100% online.

I am doing it with the provider ICS Learn, and it is so convenient to fit around full time work and other commitments. It is based purely from your computer - the modules, the e-books, the webinars etc.. I love it!

It relies heavily on self discipline and time management though, so if you're not too good at that then workshops etc may be your best option.

Good luck with whichever route you choose!