MA HRM (Level 9) or CIPD Diploma (Level 7)

Hello everyone!

I currently have an offer to do my CIPD Diploma in L&D (Level 7) and was quite conflicted as to whether I should bite the bullet and just do the MA in HRM (Level 9) instead?

I'm currently working in Student Affairs and was hoping to branch out into L&D positions or HRM positions with education/training bodies.

Also, does a MA give me full CIPD membership as opposed to the Assoc. CIPD membership from the Level 7?

Thank you for your help! Any input is greatly appreciated.

• According to the membership advice - www.cipd.co.uk/.../chartered - on successful completion of your Advanced level studies (Level 7) you'll be awarded Associate membership status. You can then apply to upgrade your membership to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow, provided you can demonstrate you have a minimum of three years’ experience working consistently at this level. So it isn't automatic after a qualification but is based on knowledge and experience.
  • I would think carefully what I am aiming for and then look which qualification, training etc. is more valuable. You may also want to think about your learning style and whether one route is better aligned to this. I recently finished a part-time MA, I loved my course and it has without doubt improved the way I view matters and resolve them. Good luck and enjoy.
  • Masters Degrees are normally Level 7 unless I am mistaken.... Doctoral is level 8....(unless you are in Scotland!)
  • My apologies I should have specified that I'm doing it in Ireland! So its the levels based on the QQI here
  • In reply to Akriti:

I did a Masters in HR in Ireland, thus gaining Associate level CIPD. I would say I learned more in that 1 year during my masters than I did in my 4 year degree. I really enjoyed it. I've now just upgraded my CIPD membership to Chartered but that was following nearly 9 years HR experience. It depends on whether you think work experience is more valuable than the course, but I really enjoyed it!
  • In reply to Kate:

I'd also say if you're not already in an HR/L&D role you might want to consider whether you might make yourself over qualified for many roles?

It's quite frequent for somebody to post on here with an MA in HRM, but struggling to get Admin roles (too qualified), but they also struggle to get senior roles (not enough experience).

Good luck whatever you choose to do! :)