Further study Level 5/7

Hi all,

I currently hold the Level 3 Certificate in HR Practice.  I am a stand alone HR Manager and want to do further study.  I think Level 7 will be more suitable given my experience however i'm wondering if anyone has any advice regarding training providers.

I have narrowed it down to 2.

The first I can do it all online, start when i like and work at my own pace, I have access to a tutor but there are no classroom work as such.  It also offers the opportunity to switch to level 5 if I find level 7 is not right for me.

The second involves at home assessment work also with the access to a tutor but also has monthly workshops which gives the opportunity to interact with other HR professionals and maybe bounce ideas around.

Does anyone have any personal experience they could share with me before I make my decision?

I have been job hunting and am finding that my lack of qualification and more in depth experience is holding me back.

Many thanks.

• I have fairly recently completed my Level 5 certificate. Due to previously living in a different county to where I worked and moving house whilst I was studying I preferred the flexibility of not having to attend a certain university/college every week. I completed my studies through AheadHR who offered 'Mixed mode' so whilst done remotely I had access to a Coach/Assessor to talk me through the assignment and there if I needed any further support. I was lucky in that working for a large Council I was allocated a mentor and had a large HR team to call on for ideas, text books etc.
    As I had previously done Level 3 and 4 (no longer recognised by CIPD qualifications/levels) I had received mixed feedback of whether to start at Level 5 or 7. In the end I started at Level 7 but due to work experience required for this study method however much opportunity my colleagues could give me, I just couldn't get the knowledge/experience etc to successfully complete this level. So I dropped back down to Level 5 which still stretched me enough to learn more but didn't set me up to fail as such. (I have over 15 years HR experience but not to manager level).
    I think workshops would have been beneficial (particularly to meet ithers and discuss topics etc) but as nothing local wanted the flexibility of studying in other ways.
  • Hello, It's a dilemma and just a suggestion but perhaps if you reflect back on your preferred learning style it may help you reach your decision?
    I know having done both 'classroom' and online, my preference is classroom because it keeps me focused, I have picked up best practice and built up a network of contacts.
    Online training depending on the length doesn't work for me as I'm less inclined to complete it and find it harder to motivate myself when I've done online courses in the past. It really does depend on the individual, your personal circumstances and learning preferences. But something to consider before you invest in the course. Good luck with whatever avenue you decide.