Moving up in the HR world - is it right for me?

Hello, I am new to this site!

Having recently completed my Level 3 Certificate in human resources practice and working as a HR Assistant for nearly 4 years now (Only role in HR) I am now starting to feel that I would like to move up.

My current role is more of that of an administrator, my duties are basic and no room for growth. My company has a small HR team (3 including me) and around 200 staff members. It has been made clear that I will not be able to gain promotion unless the company expands hugely (unlikely)

I feel I am now "stuck" in my role and would really like to take on new challenges and more demanding workload and make better use of my skills and knowledge, but having not experienced the HR Advisor or Executive role I don't feel I can just "jump" into a new job at this level.

Can anyone advise my options or routes to consider ?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

12 Sep, 2018 12:08

Welcome, Georgia.
  • Hi Georgia,

The fact you have 4 years experience in a HR role is already a great start.

If your current employer is unlikely to offer progression I would start looking elsewhere. I wouldn't be put off by the job title itself, I would look at the job descriptions and match it against your skills and experience. There is no harm in applying for jobs and seeing where it goes.

I landed my current role by emailing the Director of the Company my CV along with a covering letter explaining my experience and expertise. It just so happened that the HR manager was leaving and he gave me an opportunity to show what I could bring to the Company. It might be worth sending your CV around?

LinkedIn is also a good way of seeing what's out there.

I am starting my Level 5 this month, it might also be worth looking at that to widen your opportunities?
  • Would a step be to take a similar role in a larger organisation for example where you will have more opportunity to learn/get involved with different areas such as case work, projects etc?
    For example my job title was HR Assistant for around 10 years but as I worked in 2 large Councils over this period, I was lucky enough to be given lots of learning and development opportunities with my colleagues (a larger HR Team helps!). With all this support etc. it also really helped me recently complete my Level 5 Certificate in HR.
  • In reply to Clare:

Thank you for your advise, I will look into this!
  • In reply to Jamie-Lee:

Thank you, this is a great help. I will update my CV and take a look around. I have considered the Level 5 but was waiting role a role that would benefit from me doing it, also where I would actually be able to use the knowledge gained from the course in practice! Tthanks for your help