Trade Union Rep and job interview

Hi am currently working towards a level 5 CIPD (self funded)  and recently went for my first job interview for a HR role.

I currently work in a call centre but am also an active and senior trade union official.

During my job interview I told them that I was a senior rep and what this role entails but now I am concerned this is why they did not give me the job? Would people suggest I am honest about it or not tell future potential employers ?

I do not want future employers thinking negatively or not taking me on if I tell them if they think I am a "militant"

• Welcome to the communities.

Personally I would play it down. Unless you are using it to demonstrate a particular skill or competency I am not sure that it’s worth raising.

It could simply be they are civcerned at amount of time this will take , more sinister motives or simply wasn’t a factor.

But I would leave it.
  • As an ex TU rep, I never thought my boss thought any less of me because I was, although I was probably classed as 'moderate'. Like Keith said I'm not quite sure this is relevant unless you wanted to use it as an example of how you handled things.
    My experience as a TU rep was not wasted when eventually I worked as an HR manager. I got on well with our TU reps!!