Do I go straight into Level 5 or gain experience first?

Hi all, 

I'm currently studying my Level 3 CIPD in Human Resources and am due to finish this in June. I've enjoyed every second of the course (apart from the role play) and am really excited/nervous to start my first HR role as a HR Administrator. 

I would really love to still develop my knowledge after June but I'm not sure if going straight into Level 5 CIPD in September would be a wise move. Would it be better to build some experience in a job role and maybe just take alternative learning such as online modules and reading etc? Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative learning in HR?

Thanks in advance :) 

• Hi Shannon,

When are you starting your new role as HR Administrator?
    In your shoes, I would be tempted to start Level 5 when you feel that you've settled into your new role, as many employers look for Level 5 or above when recruiting HR Advisors and so on.
    In terms of alternatives, the first thing that comes to mind is the resources on the CIPD website - factsheets, Q&A's, podcasts, communities etc - all great to tap into to expand your knowledge and thinking around HR issues and topics.

I hope this helps.

Sophie