PostGraduate jobs

Hi,

Ian doing my MSc in HRM with a level 7 CIPD, worked in a HR shared service centre for a year and now I’m still a HR admin. Although I only have less than 2 years HR experience, I am keen to learn and progress. When applying for jobs, it seems I only attract Entry level HR roles.

Any advice on how I can begin the proper HR work and apply the skills and knowdge I have learnt? Ideally I would like to end up in Organisational Development/ strategic HR, however I’m not sure what my starting point should be.

Thanks in advance :)

• Hi Fay

A few thoughts:

An entry level role in a large organisation may be a good option in regards to gaining further development and opportunity

Is your CV selling what you have to offer? If you are talking in terms of process, admin and 'doing' you will not be a competitive candidates for more senior roles - look at what you have achieved so far and the language you use in your CV - you want to demonstrate ownership, delivery, improvement, any difficult cases / issues you have dealt with etc.

Do you have a recruitment consultant looking for work for you? You need someone who knows what you can offer as well as your longer term potential - my agency relationships served me very well in my early career (but stick with the consultant, not necessarily the company) Consider using 2 - a HR boutique agency and 'one of the big ones' so you are hearing about the roles available.

Good luck

Jo