Why am I finding it so hard to get a break in HR?

Hello to all of you wonderful HR professionals, 

I am hoping someone may be able to help me. I am currently pursuing my second MA (first was in Applied Psychology) in HRM. I love it! I have four years middle management experience in public and not for profit sectors but currently I am working as a clerical officer for the health service.  I am hoping to move into a HR role but finding it difficult despite the fact I have people management experience. I am data driven with advanced skills in qualitative and quantitative report writing. Experienced in staff training and recruitment and I am a published and award winning academic. I am empathetic and I have proven business development skills.

Why am I finding it so hard? Am I underestimating how long it takes to catch a break in HR? I am not afraid of hard work and I have forged and created HR related experience in my current post. I just don't know where I can further improve without getting an opportunity but I am very open to hearing new suggestions. I have lots of volunteer experience ( throughout the years) but at the moment I cannot secure volunteer work as I am not available to volunteer during business hours. I am open to volunteering after work, remotely and on weekends but no one in the multiple organisations that I have approached thinks this is a valid option as I would be unsupervised (I completely understand their position). I have a LinkedIn account and I publish articles on relevant and important HR related topics such as growing your own talent and data analytics on a regular basis. 

Any suggestions on how I could advance my career when I can't seem to get in, anywhere!

I greatly appreciate any and all feedback. I am beginning to feel hopeless. 

Warm regards, 

Elizabeth 

• Hi Elizabeth

A couple of thought immediately occur to me

1) Which HR roles are you applying for?
    Remember it is a competitive area to access - ask yourself 'why would they hire me?' and assess if you need to make any adjustments to your application. You appear to have some strong transferrable skills - are you highlighting them?

2) What is it you REALLY want to do?
    Can you form a bridge into a 'proper HR job' by moving the emphasis of another role? For example - if you are a people manager, you have the opportunity to build evidence of your coaching, mentoring and ER skills which can only help make you the preferred candidate

I would see your data analysis skills as a real strength, as is your Psychology knowledge (both a real bonus in HR) Maybe look to these as your best tools into HR - HR data and systems or Organisational Psychology

Do you have a contact who can challenge your CV - it tends to be a very helpful exercise (happy to have a look if you do not)

Hope my 'top of my head' rantings are of some help - good luck
    Jo
  • Hey Elizabeth

It would be useful to know if you are getting the knock-back at the application stage, or following interview?
  • In reply to Jo:

Hi Jo,

Many thanks for your kind suggestions and questions. I feel that I am either too inexperienced or too experienced for roles currently on offer. I am definitely selling my data analysis and psychology skills but there doesnt seem to be much demand for them. I dont have a contact to provide feedback on my cv. Would you mind? I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on how I can improve myself professionally.

Warm regards,

Elizabeth
  • In reply to Kendra:

Hey Kendra,

In most instances it is at application stage.

Warm regards,

Elizabeth
  • I hope Elizabeth you don't mind me taking advantage of your request, because I am having a similar problem to you and I would like to hear if Jo, Kendra, you or anyone else would have any input to help me.

I am an HR Generalist with over 20 years of experience as an HR Manager, but 17 of those are in Europe. When I move to the UK I had a hard time convincing about my experience, especially when in Europe there is no established framework with certifications, hence I had to start from a coordinator level and volunteer a lot.

I finally got into a HR Manager position in the last 2 years and because of business decisions the company entered administration and made all staff redundant so I am looking for a new position. But in this case, no matter, how many applications I have done and how I try to express my transferable skills, for the first time I have been rejected everywhere, without getting the opportunity for an interview. And I am feeling as hopeless as Elizabeth.

I have tried to get feedback form applications that have a contact but without success. Any help form you would be really appreciated.

Konstantinos