Gaining first HR position advice please

Hi,

I am currently studying for my Level 5 Diploma in HRM and have worked in Retail since I was 16 even whilst at university. I worked my way up to become a store manager at Thomas Cook for a number of years before the closure and this made me re-evaluate and rethink about the things I really enjoyed from this role. I have lots of practical knowledge of investigations, disciplinaries, recruiting team members, dismissals I thought that studying for my Level 5 would be a logical thing to do to gain my first role in HR but the vacancies I can see at the moment are all asking for years of experience in HR. Does that include what practical knowledge I have or not? What level of position should I be looking for? What does my CV need to look like?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

• Welcome to the Communities Fiona

If you do a search you will find this is one of the most popular topics here which while showing its hard at least means there's lots of good advice. Here's a few to start with using the search

Search - CIPD Community

People can and do make the transition from retail to HR but its tough. You will have to network hard and probably take a step or three down the food chain to get in and then up

Good luck