Looking for guidance for HR Job in UK with CIPD

Hi,

I am an HR with 5 years of experience in India. Looking forward to hunt jobs in UK with this experience and attending the CIPD assessment for associate membership. 

I would like to know any other specific mode/ qualification/ skill needed to to get HR Job in UK.

Thanks

Swetha

• Welcome to the forum Swetha.

You mention that you are in India at the moment. Can I check whether you already have a visa that enables you to work in the UK please? If not, i'm afraid that HR is not classed as a shortage occupation in the UK and the requirements for a visa to be offered are quite strict. There are some variations to the rules, but generally you would need to have at least a degree, been offered a job that pays at least £30,000 PA. The difficulty with this is that the employer can only offer a visa to someone who does not already have the right to live and work in the UK, if they have advertised the job in two different places for at least 28 days and not been able to find a suitable candidate from people who do have the right to live and work in the UK. because most HR jobs get a large number of candidates, it is very unlikely that an employer would be able to evidence that they could not fill the role.

This website has a lot of information about coming to the UK to work and may help you as you think about your career choices. good luck!
    www.gov.uk/.../work-visas
  • Welcome to the forum Swetha.

You mention that you are in India at the moment. Can I check whether you already have a visa that enables you to work in the UK please? If not, i'm afraid that HR is not classed as a shortage occupation in the UK and the requirements for a visa to be offered are quite strict. There are some variations to the rules, but generally you would need to have at least a degree, been offered a job that pays at least £30,000 PA. The difficulty with this is that the employer can only offer a visa to someone who does not already have the right to live and work in the UK, if they have advertised the job in two different places for at least 28 days and not been able to find a suitable candidate from people who do have the right to live and work in the UK. because most HR jobs get a large number of candidates, it is very unlikely that an employer would be able to evidence that they could not fill the role.

This website has a lot of information about coming to the UK to work and may help you as you think about your career choices. good luck!
    www.gov.uk/.../work-visas
  • In reply to Teresa:

Hi Teresa,
    Thank you for the reponse.
    I have the dependent visa so Visa would not be a problem.
    I am looking for answers to the questions in my mind on qualification and the skills which the Companies look into for recruiting a candidate in UK.
  • In reply to Swetha:

Ah, that is excellent. In terms of the qualifications, if you already have several years experience, the mid range qualification at Level 5 may be the most suitable option for you. Level 3 would restrict you to entry level roles mostly, whilst Level 7 may mean that people see you as overqualified and or/likely to move on quickly. level 5 gives you a good range of practical knowledge and should be suitable for HR Assistant to Senior HR Adviser level roles.
    Good luck with your search. I worked with someone previously who made the same move as you are planning to do and the skills and experience they developed from their work in India, really translated across well into the UK
  • In reply to Teresa:

Thanks a lot for the guidance and encouragement.