Looking for HR experience and advice

Hi all,

I was hoping to gain some advice about anything further I can do to improve my chances of getting an entry level role in HR, as well as if anybody knows of any unpaid opportunities for experience in the Edinburgh / Glasgow area or home-based.

I am about to enter my final year as an undergraduate psychology student and am also studying towards my CIPD level 3 certificate (due to complete in January). I have managed to get a week-long placement with a previous employer which was really insightful. I currently work as a retail supervisor for a local charity shop which involves admin and recruitment aspects. On top of this I volunteer as a recruitment administrator for another charity - who are also trying to tie in some experience with performance reviews and policy updates. Prior to this my experience is customer contact and a temporary administrator position. From my practical experience and academic experience I have built the skills of report writing, data entry and analysis and proficiency in Microsoft packages. 

I have been completing free online courses alongside my current studies and work to keep productive and continuously develop, and actively used Linkedin to network etc.

I know it is a competitive market, and I will be graduating into a time of high unemployment, so I'm really trying to get experience where I can to compliment my studies.

Any advice or opportunities would be greatly appreciated!

Megan

• Hi Megan
    You're already gaining some good experience through volunteering. I would recommend adding some networking to that if you're not already doing it. Do you go along to your local CIPD branch meetings? That might be a good place to start.
    Good luck!
    Kind regards
    Jackie
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Hi Jackie,

Thanks so much for your response. I've already been networking via Linkedin and have just contacted my local branch this week about their mentoring scheme and groups to join so fingers crossed! Thanks so much for your advice.

Kind regards,

Megan