Advice/Help-- Currently in Qatar

Hello I am currently enrolled in CIPD level 7 and this is my first CIPD education.

I have been working in Pakistan in HR department and as Visiting Faculty at one of the private university. I moved to Qatar in 2017. I am really struggling with the job search. I do understand that working in Pakistan as compare to Qatar's International market is quite different.

I have been actively looking for various jobs even for apprenticeship or as trainee to gain some experience but I didn't find any CIPD affiliated apprenticeship programs here and CIPD network seems to be very limited. I also explore opportunities in UK but I need some advice how can I approach employers or atleast if I can get any appretenship opportunity along with CIPD but off course I would be needing sponsored visa.

I am willing to relocate to gain some international experience. Thanks

• Hi Fazila, You will not likely find any affiliation or support in Qatar to sustain your level 7 qualification. Qatar does not offer flexible working options such as internships or mentoring programmes at a governmental level, it is not part of Qatari law. You may find options within multinational organisations who have a presence in Qatar but you need to do the work yourself and find them. Coming to work here in the UK is a difficult prospect too. You will need to apply for a work permit through an employer. Sponsorship programme as you have seen in Qatar does not exist here. My best advice would be to go back to Pakistan and get your old HR job back and follow through with the programme there. I understand that the level 7 is quite a tough programme and for you to succeed you need to be in employment not to mention it is 24 months long. Lastly, I would suggest you go back to the college where you applied and enrolled for the level 7 and ask for their advice and support. Best of luck!
  • I don't have knowledge of the situation in Qatar and hopefully another member will be able to provide advice on this.

With the UK, as you would need a sponsored visa, i would have to be honest and say that you will find a HR very difficult to get into in the UK due to the visa restrictions. in the UK, HR is not classed as a shortage occupation which means that it is very difficult for employers to sponsor a visa for HR roles. The rules require them to advertise the role in the UK in two separate places for at least 28 days and be unable to find a UK national able to do the role. Because there are so many UK nationals looking for HR roles, it is highly unlikely that the employer would be unable to fill the role without having to offer a sponsorship visa.

I hope you are able to find a suitable role soon
  • thank you Teresa. how about apprenticeships and internships
  • In reply to Fazila:

In the UK they would be the same I'm afraid - for non shortage occupations in the UK, the organisations has to prove that there is no-one in the UK suitable to carry out the role before they could appoint someone from outside the EU (likely to be soon outside the UK)
  • thank you I can't go back Pakistan as my whole family has moved here. I am trying my best to connect with employers too.