Mentor

Hi Everyone,

I am studying my CIPD level 7 and will be completing the course in Janury. I am a lone HR employee who looks after 50 members of staff. This is my first HR role, it has been very exciting yet challenging as i have had to learn at lot on the job with occassional guidance from an HR consultancy firm. As i am a lone HR employee, i manage all HR functions of the business.  I am looking for a mentor and career guidance on how i can get a lot more experience and also find out how i can progress in my HR career. 

I hope you can help me. Thank you

• Excuse my talking out of turn as I'm new here and not yet with an hr career but have you tried the careers advice function on LinkedIn? It matches you with possible mentors which are time limited. I tried one person who sent me a polite 'busy' reply- they're the right person but this is a manic time of year for the business. So I've tried again with another person with a respected position in the particular industry sector in my region. At the moment I just have a couple of questions I want to ask them for their perspective and I made it clear I wasn't fishing for a job. It was just yesterday so it's still too early to necessarily look for a reply.

Look on your profile, at your dashboard, and participate in the careers advice. It's an exciting feature although it might take a while to find a mutual match.
  • You may have explored this already but another option is to make contact with your local CIPD Branch www.cipd.co.uk/.../branches You may well be able to connect with someone there who is happy to mentor you.

Best wishes,

Rachel