How can I possibly progress in HR?

Hi all,

I have been working as an HR Administrator for over 3 years in different companies and I am completed my Level 5 CIPD a long time ago. I am also aware that with the level 5 CIPD qualification, I should be working at a HR Advisor level however this seems impossible because of the type of organisations I have been able to work for due to lack of opportunity to progress and stunt growth of the businesses.

Before I got my first HR jobs, I completed a few voluntary HR roles in order to get enough experience which opened doors for me to even become an Administrator in HR. I am very keep and passionate to progress in HR as I want to complete my Level 7 CIPD, however due to the context of the course I have been advised to work up to at least an Advisor role before taking on the course.

I currently feel stuck as I am not able to work closely with HR Advisors to build my confidence and experience with them. Is there anything I can do?

I am willing to work voluntarily again in an HR Advisor role to gain the necessary experience for the role if I need to do so.

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?

Thanks,

Peter.

• Hi Peter

You must be disappointed at the lack of response so far. It feels as if we have had a lot of posts in recent months from people struggling to get an HR career off the ground or who have stalled at the administrator level. Some of these posts have generated many replies and I think there could be a fatigue factor at work. If you do a search, you will find a lot of useful advice.

What part of the country are you in? I ask as I might be aware of a volunteering opportunity in London. It's reassuring to hear that this has worked for you in the past as it is something that is often advised on here as a way to gain experience and differentiate your application from the many others you will be up against.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

29 Jan, 2019 14:34

In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Elizabeth said:
    Some of these posts have generated many replies and I think there could be a fatigue factor at work.

Possibly... but also the site hasn't been working well for the past 12 hours or so. Much better now, I hasten to add.

• In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Hi Elizabeth, thanks for your response. I will search throufh the previous discussions amd posts similar to this. Yes it is very frustrating.

I live in Manchester currently but a lot of the posts available are 6months contracts. If there are opportunities in London for volunteering, I am happy to check them out. As my precious voluntary work was in London.
  • In reply to Peter Adediran:

A six month contract maybe ideal way to get experience and the break you need.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith,
    I am considering this. Just need to build up the confidence.
  • In reply to Peter Adediran:

People are far more likely to take a chance on someone fir a six month backfill / contract than a permanent role.

I know it means financial insecurity but you have to back yourself sometimes.

Good luck.